1. Collapse Details
    emergency lens cleaning
    I have to videotape an autopsy and understand there may be some, uh, spattering. In a pinch, could I use the Zeiss lens cleaning cloths I use to clean my glasses to clean the lens?

How about the rest of the camera, anything recommended to clean it or anything not to use?

2. Collapse Details
    This "event" is likely already over but here's my thoughts on your question/

I don't know about current "lens wipes" but there used to be warnings against use eyeglass wipes on coated optics. Some used to contain mild abrasives. Here's what I use:

Pec-Pads - Lint free squares of cloth with absolutely no abrasives. I order the pack of 4" 100 count from amazon.

I moisten those slighly with Eclipse cleaning fluid (also available from amazon). This is about the purest form of alcohol we can find and purchase. At one time these two items were recommended for the Copperhill method of sensor cleaning so they are safe for camera optics.

For the camera body and lens barrel I would follow the manufacturers recommendation. But I'd make an effort to clean any "splatters" as soon as they occur and I'd avoid any direct contact between my skin and "splatters" (wear the same type of gloves and protective gear the folks performing the autopsy do).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks. Good-to-know information.

Yes, the event is over. Fortunately there was no spatter, but the smell was not good, to say the least.