Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    C300 Mark II - Noise Reduction Artefacts / Gradient Bending / Firmware Issue
    Hello Community,

i am a new C300 MKII User and just made my first experiences with this great camera. I really love and appreciate the handling and the overall look. Now i registered here, because i am seeking for some help.
    Just a few words to myself: Iam an editor / Cutter from Frankfurt Germany and i am in business for nearly 20 years now. (its me on the last 2 frames...) ;)

So here is the problem:

Usually i do record in 1080p 59,9fps 4:2:2 10 Bit onto Cfast Cards with default Log2 CinemaGamut Settings at ISO 800. Firmware is latest.

I experienced quite evil artefacts when object move - especially out-of-focus when soft objects move. THis happens quite often on skin-tones and in DOF Areas. When objets dont move - everything is fine. Those are these gradient-lines which appear. (looks kinda color-bending) Look at the unsharp hand of the boy. The Gradient-Line mimics the border of the position from the frame prior.

I checked this against another c300 Mk2 at my local dealer and the camera behave exactly the same. So it`s not a unique bug to my machine.

I checked all resoultions, bit-Rates, and picture profiles. Its always the same. I did discuss this in a german forum and people said those are artifacs from a noise-reduction-algorythm which Canon introduced with a firmware a while ago - which CANNOT be disabled...?!

Today i tested this against a RAW recording on Atomos Inferno with the firmware from today!! (RAW enabled!) and on the RAW Footage was finally clean without those strange artefacs. Default Atomos recording resultet in the same issues.

Here are some Testshots, where the issue is clearly visible.

01grade.jpg01log.jpg02grade.jpg02log.jpg03grade.jpg03log.jpg04grade.jpg04log_.jpg

Here are the shots from another C300MK2 with a hard grading where you can see ghosting over at least 3 Frames.

A003C004_170404IS_CANON.00_00_35_11.Still002.jpgA003C004_170404IS_CANON.00_00_28_20.Still001.jpg

and here is RAW was Codec Comparism where you can see, that in RAW the artifacs are gone.

Codec2.jpgRAW2.jpg

and here is a dropbox Link to the High-Res FIles and a test Recording at 12Bit 4:4:4. Same problem there, too.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9sm1uiaan...vxDVLC04a?dl=0

So, my question is:

Is this a common issue ?
    Is this really some kind of internal noise reduction ?
    Is there any setting somewhere hidden, so i can disable this ?

Thanks a lot and best,
    Thomas

2. Collapse Details
    Thats really interesting. I always record in Canon Log 3 and have never noticed it. Can you do a similar comparison between the two log settings?

3. Collapse Details
    Just record some out-of-focus Movement with a little contrast. I checked Log2 vs Log3 Vs Log1 Vs 709 and the results were always quite the same. But i can do some more testing tomorrow

4. Collapse Details
    Yes, this seems to be an issue. There's a recent post on the LiftGammaGain.com forum about that.

http://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/i...rtifacts.8639/

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by xntrggr View Post
    Yes, this seems to be an issue. There's a recent post on the LiftGammaGain.com forum about that.

http://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/i...rtifacts.8639/
    With that, let's figure this out fast, CANON!

6. Collapse Details
    I've seen this too. While it's visible in still frames, I've never noticed it in moving footage (hadn't been looking for it though).

7. Collapse Details
    In moving footage the effect isnt visible directly, since it only occurs on faster moving objects. You can see it, when you look close. But when you digg into pixels and work on single frames in post production, vfx tools, etc - this is really massive.

8. Collapse Details
    Wow. I'd be very *not* happy about that.

Let's hope Canon can fix quickly.
    @andreemarkefors

9. Collapse Details
    Yeah hope they fix it.

10. Collapse Details
    I went through this issue at length with the XC10. Contacted Canon, etc. - they say it's normal behaviour. They confirmed it's due to in-camera temporal noise reduction. And you'll see that as ISO increases it becomes more and more evident. On the XC10, some profiles show more ghosting than others. C-Log is the worst and EOS Standard is the best.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/...comment-169625

For the XC10, it's possible to get very similar results to C-Log in terms of dynamic range by shooting at 1.66 stops lower ISO in EOS Standard, giving the same clipping point. (C-Log base ISO is 500 and seems to be a digital push of ISO 160). Colours and highlight saturation can be tweaked to additionally match. This is a great solution to help prevent ghosting in low light situations.

I imagine the same principles will hold true for the C300II.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast