Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I feel I have to chime in While I absolutely understand the lure of being able to make money off your gear with little to no effort by having other folks rent it, I would only rent my stuff to a handful of people I know personally, who I believe would do me right were they to screw up my stuff. I know of a sound guy who had his stuff rented through a local brick and mortar rental house years and years ago, but to me the prospect of this whole arrangement is quite frightening. Maybe I'm in the minority here.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmfan222 View Post
    I'm going to give KitSplit or CameraLends a go.
    Will they be different?

3. Collapse Details
    Rental is a brutal industry. Brutal on gear that is. If you plan to rent your gear, either on your own or through a third party, I'd always expect the worst.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

4. Collapse Details
    Seems like there are two vastly different attitudes about rented gear. . .it's either "this isn't mine, I will be EXTRA careful with it," or "this isn't mine, who the f.u.c.k cares what happens to it?". I consider myself part of the former group. Again, small group of trusted friends/colleagues is about as far as I'd go. I'd pay to repair/replace theirs if I had to (God forbid), expect they'd to the same.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    Rental is a brutal industry. Brutal on gear that is. If you plan to rent your gear, either on your own or through a third party, I'd always expect the worst.
    Noel do you ever hire out your varicam or other equipment?

6. Collapse Details
    I finally heard back from them last week and got about about 70% of the damage and losses refunded to me. The renter also lost an eyepiece that I had already replaced twice, from previous renters who lost the same part. The renter refused to acknowledge he lost it, even though I had a sales receipt from immediately before he rented it, and I made sure it was in the case when he picked it up. So I'm still out that $600+

I'll be honest. I'm not really happy with ShareGrid. I had a popular item on their site that was rented consistently and generated revenue for them. I even repaired part of the camera myself to save the renter/ShareGrid about $200 in other damage that was done to the arm, microphone holder. I have an immense amount of patience and trust, but I feel like if I didn't keep on them about this, and didn't reach out to the filmmaking community they would have never resolved this. They also have made no effort to reimburse me the $600+ for the eyepiece. They can write these carefully worded, legally approved customer responses all day, but let's look at the facts:

-One of their users broke and lost my equipment
    -I provided ample evidence of the loss, damage, and repair
    -It took them over 4+ months to resolve the issue, after many many emails, and didn't even fully cover the cost of the lost items.

This is not the promise of ShareGrid. The promise of ShareGrid is that when you list your hard earned equipment it will be covered and repaired promptly.

This has not been the case for me, and I refuse to put my equipment on ShareGrid anymore. I'm going to give KitSplit or CameraLends a go.
    Most of the companies don't walk the talk. That is what separates the Great companies from others. A lot of time when I talk with founders of startups, I find that their main motive is to make money. Only a few companies truly have a vision and ethics. So I am not surprised that you lost money here.

You may also like to check the competitors of ShareGrid and see how they perform when there is an issue.

Personally I don't rent out equipment through rental companies. Only when I am shooting for the client, I bring in my equipment and bill it. There will always be temptation to make money out of our equipment if it is sitting idle. However, I know that my core competency is not being a rental house. So I will only bring my equipment to productions if I am there using it alone or with my team.

7. Collapse Details
    I finally heard back from them last week and got about about 70% of the damage and losses refunded to me. The renter also lost an eyepiece that I had already replaced twice, from previous renters who lost the same part. The renter refused to acknowledge he lost it, even though I had a sales receipt from immediately before he rented it, and I made sure it was in the case when he picked it up. So I'm still out that $600+

I'll be honest. I'm not really happy with ShareGrid. I had a popular item on their site that was rented consistently and generated revenue for them. I even repaired part of the camera myself to save the renter/ShareGrid about $200 in other damage that was done to the arm, microphone holder. I have an immense amount of patience and trust, but I feel like if I didn't keep on them about this, and didn't reach out to the filmmaking community they would have never resolved this. They also have made no effort to reimburse me the $600+ for the eyepiece. They can write these carefully worded, legally approved customer responses all day, but let's look at the facts:

-One of their users broke and lost my equipment
    -I provided ample evidence of the loss, damage, and repair
    -It took them over 4+ months to resolve the issue, after many many emails, and didn't even fully cover the cost of the lost items.

This is not the promise of ShareGrid. The promise of ShareGrid is that when you list your hard earned equipment it will be covered and repaired promptly.

This has not been the case for me, and I refuse to put my equipment on ShareGrid anymore. I'm going to give KitSplit or CameraLends a go.
    reading this thread i too would pass on ShareGrid.

david

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    Seems like there are two vastly different attitudes about rented gear. . .it's either "this isn't mine, I will be EXTRA careful with it," or "this isn't mine, who the f.u.c.k cares what happens to it?". I consider myself part of the former group. Again, small group of trusted friends/colleagues is about as far as I'd go. I'd pay to repair/replace theirs if I had to (God forbid), expect they'd to the same.
    I've always treated gear like it was mine, partially since I've always owned gear since day one. In fact, I used to bring the gear back in better condition than when I picked it up from one of the guys I used to shoot for, because he treated his own stuff like crap. It still amazes me the people in this business, that KNOW how much this stuff costs, how fragile some of it is and how much it costs to repair it and still take the literal attitude of "they're just tools" and treat it like it's hammers and screwdrivers.

I started renting my gear out a few years ago. At first just to a very small, select group of friends, then opened it up more as some of it was in high demand. I've been fairly lucky, no REAL damage- broken cable and a few minor lost pieces that were promptly replaced, is about it. I have had some pieces not put back in the right places in bags and cases that did cause some tense moments and some ass-clown of an AC that wrote on some cards instead of using tape to mark them. But the only one that really sent me over the edge was a fellow shooter who rented my 17-120(I had had it only a few days) and brought it back packed incorrectly AND dirty. It had been raining on his shoot and the front element was uncovered and had dirt and water spots all over it. I was a little mad at myself, because although I wasn't expecting anything like that to happen, I almost pulled a clear filter off of one of my W/A's to put on there before I sent it out. Even if it was a rental from a rental house, you should have enough courtesy to clean it up, but if it's a friends personal lens you should definitely return it SPOTLESS. I would have been embarrassed to take a friends lens back to him in that condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12