Thread: C100 vs GH5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    C100 vs GH5
    This morning I was shooting some b-roll with a C100mkII. By the afternoon out of out on location for another shoot with my GH4 doing b-roll and interviews.
    I have to admit that between the two I much prefer the C100. Just an overall easier camera to use.

But it got me thinking, a C100mkI and a GH5 with XLR adapter are about the same price.
    Which would you prefer?

2. Collapse Details
    C100 is an awesome camera
    I like the GHx series for its ultra light form factor - as a OMB it is more versatile to me. I also really like the slow motion modes
    Depending on project and needs, and what ergos best suit you, c100 can be hard to top
    I was reluctant to switch from the ENG style body to DSLR but overtime I have found workflows and tools and muscle memory that for me negate the difference and actually cause me to prefer the GHx form factor

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    I like the GHx series for its ultra light form factor - as a OMB it is more versatile to me. I also really like the slow motion modes
    Depending on project and needs, and what ergos best suit you, c100 can be hard to top
    I was reluctant to switch from the ENG style body to DSLR but overtime I have found workflows and tools and muscle memory that for me negate the difference and actually cause me to prefer the GHx form factor
    ...add that you have a very good photo camera, can shoot "sneakish" and can adapt a lot of lenses from other manufacturers. In the end the decision is for or against a mount. And to which "lens family" you want to belong. And - yes, most important - about your own preferences.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post

We shoot internationally for a nonprofit. Events. Typically 3 to 5 cameras. We were working with Canon C100. They gave good images but the travel package is simply too big. Both lenses and camera are bulky. Sometimes I will be in three cities in one week. All too often I do not take other vital equipment because the C100 packages are already too big. When you leave equipment behind what is the purpose of having the optimal camera; the result suffers. Cameras are only one part of the balance needed to communicate.

So, we are going to try GH5s. Will we be giving up some low light? Yes, but prime Panasonic lenses are small and fast. What we will gain is mobility.

Also, I hope that the GH5s will be less intimidating. I am tired of subects freezing during quick grab shots.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by philiplipetz View Post
    We shoot internationally for a nonprofit. Events. Typically 3 to 5 cameras. We were working with Canon C100. They gave good images but the travel package is simply too big. Both lenses and camera are bulky. Sometimes I will be in three cities in one week. All too often I do not take other vital equipment because the C100 packages are already too big. When you leave equipment behind what is the purpose of having the optimal camera; the result suffers. Cameras are only one part of the balance needed to communicate.

So, we are going to try GH5s. Will we be giving up some low light? Yes, but prime Panasonic lenses are small and fast. What we will gain is mobility.

Also, I hope that the GH5s will be less intimidating. I am tired of subects freezing during quick grab shots.
    the problem I have found with DSLRs shooting video is that when you do quick grab shots outside an event or conference people assume your taking a photo and they pose.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by verzap View Post
    the problem I have found with DSLRs shooting video is that when you do quick grab shots outside an event or conference people assume your taking a photo and they pose.
    This is my experience also. Maybe it's a Philly thing.

7. Collapse Details
    That is the very reason why some of us rig our DSLR setup with things like a matte box.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by video652 View Post
    That is the very reason why some of us rig our DSLR setup with things like a matte box.
    Haha, I totally understand your point but in the context of the previous posts this is hilarious. Basically the flow of this thread goes: "Buy smaller cameras because they are easier to travel with. But then attach lots of stuff to them so they are just as big anyway!"

Personally I'm not much of a fan of the CX00's form factor. I'd probably pick the GH5 if I had to choose between the two, but would have to have it kitted out to the max.
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 | Shogun Inferno | Sony A7s
    Adobe CC 2015

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    I much prefer the C100. Just an overall easier camera to use.
    Really? Man, I can't agree with that. The GH4 is ergonomically the best camera I've ever used.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by verzap View Post
    Haha that is not a unique problem. If it's not a DSLR then there's still someone dancing around for a proper video camera.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast