Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    If the test matches highlights, we've got something constant.
    To each, their own. Depending on what you are looking for, you can attack the test for various angles.

I prefer looking at it from a "light meter" perspective: determine the EV for the scene and then use that same EV for both picture profiles. You can over or under expose as you like, but you'll get the performance of the picture profiles relative to the same unbiased 'norm'.

You can of course throw that line of thinking out the window and just say: "I will expose each profile optimally, as if I was actually shooting the scene, regardless if I end up with wildly different camera settings". And I'm not saying that is wrong. It's kind of maximising performance, which we all try to do when actually shooting. I just don't prefer it for a strict test when trying to compare A to A.

-----

If I remember correctly, Canon Log pulls the exposure with 12/3 stops. You'd think it would be maybe two stops (ISO400), but I remember it being slight less when checking scopes. So you would then have to shoot the EOS HD profile at ISO125 to get the same white clip point, assuming you use ISO400 for Canon Log. And this is in turn assuming EOS HD doesn't pull down the white clip to less than max in the picture profile editor (I haven't used EOS HD).
    @andreemarkefors

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreeOnline View Post
    To each, their own. Depending on what you are looking for, you can attack the test for various angles.

I prefer looking at it from a "light meter" perspective: determine the EV for the scene and then use that same EV for both picture profiles. You can over or under expose as you like, but you'll get the performance of the picture profiles relative to the same unbiased 'norm'.

You can of course throw that line of thinking out the window and just say: "I will expose each profile optimally, as if I was actually shooting the scene, regardless if I end up with wildly different camera settings". And I'm not saying that is wrong. It's kind of maximising performance, which we all try to do when actually shooting. I just don't prefer it for a strict test when trying to compare A to A.

-----

If I remember correctly, Canon Log pulls the exposure with 12/3 stops. You'd think it would be maybe two stops (ISO400), but I remember it being slight less when checking scopes. So you would then have to shoot the EOS HD profile at ISO125 to get the same white clip point, assuming you use ISO400 for Canon Log. And this is in turn assuming EOS HD doesn't pull down the white clip to less than max in the picture profile editor (I haven't used EOS HD).
    I think if you match highlights, you can compare how many stops into the shadows internal Canon Log can provide vs. a custom picture style, and thus get a good idea how much more usable DR is being provided.

3. Collapse Details
    C-Log Update for 5D Mark IV from Itasca Very Fast
    DVXuser Sponsor
    We shipped a couple of 5D Mark IV bodies out for the C-Log update last Thursday from Austin to the Itasca Service Center, and received them back today.

Canon USA Service Centers:

• Jamesburg, NJ
    • Lyndhurst, NJ (possible to walk-in)
    • Canon Virginia
    • Itasca, IL
    • Burbank, CA (possible to walk-in)
    • Costa Mesa, CA (possible to walk-in) Customers need to call 1-800-652-2666
    Terry Nixon
    terry@tmsav.com
    Texas Media Systems
    Phone 1-512-440-1400 Ext 203
    Twitter Facebook Instagram Linkedin

4. Collapse Details
    Do we know if clog is available via hdmi out or just internal?

5. Collapse Details
    Got the Clog update done last week in Burbank. Walk in - no appointment - and the update was done in an hour.

I haven't tested the HDMI out, but I assume it would carry through. HDMI is only HD, so I'm not sure why you'd want to use that, though.

6. Collapse Details
    Pretty cool to see C-Log in a 5D!

I was going through old 1DC footage and images earlier this week, and I must say they are still very nice images, and better than old C300 video. When I see old C300 footage, I slightly cringe. The draw backs of the 1DC were always the rolling shutter, and just wishing there was an extra two stops dynamic range. That said, the 4K footage still has a quality that is wonderful, and the APS-H frame is glorious to work with.

7. Collapse Details
    has anyone heard if LOG will come to the 1DXmkII as well? if not would there be a technical reason or rather some sort of protecting some other camera?

david

8. Collapse Details
    A 4K/60p DSLR with C-Log would be very powerful. Before the C200 was announced, I speculated that the 1DX Mark II might not be getting C-Log because the new mystery camera will have 4K/60p with various C-Log options, and the timing just isn't right for the 1DX to get it. But could happen in the future.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789