1. Collapse Details
    The Orange Squares Under Your Name - What do they mean?
    What is the significance of the orange squares under the user name shown in posts? Are they gold stars, a battery indicator, or something else? I have two squares. Do I need to think about changing batteries?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    They are a representation of your "reputation", as voted on by the members of the community. The more times someone clicks the arrows on the "Did you find this post helpful" line on something you've posted (i.e., the more times someone "rates" your post) the more squares you get.

But they're not always orange. The color of the squares indicates what the ratio of helpful to unhelpful ratings are. The orange squares mean the community finds you, in general, helpful. The red squares mean the opposite, the more unhelpful they find you.

So -- if you see one square, then that means not many people have rated you yet. You get about a square per 100 ratings.

If you've been rated 150 times, you'll probably have two squares. In your particular case, you've been rated 165 times (so far), so you've got two squares. I've been rated around 600 times, so I've got six squares. Mitch Gross has been rated 795 times, so he has 7 squares.

And, your squares are orange. That is a good sign; it is a reflection of how many times folks have given you a "thumbs up" instead of a "thumbs down". Your ratio is about 91% "helpful" and only 9% said they didn't find your posts helpful. There are some members who have been voted down or unhelpful more, even significantly more, than they have been voted "helpful"; in those cases, they have red squares. The member with the worst reputation in the forum history has long since been banned, but he accumulated a total of 40 "helpful" out of 468 ratings. Accordingly, his reputation display was four red squares.

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Barry. I found that helpful too

4. Collapse Details
    Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    They are a representation of your "reputation", as voted on by the members of the community. The more times someone clicks the arrows on the "Did you find this post helpful" line on something you've posted (i.e., the more times someone "rates" your post) the more squares you get.

So -- if you see one square, then that means not many people have rated you yet. You get about a square per 100 ratings.
    That can't be right... I have an orange square. Anybody who knows me, will testify that I am many things, and helpful just ain't one of them ;)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    There was a sports forum that I used to frequent and they'd change their rep system each time I got up a level or two. They are using roughly the same software as DVXUser but had dropped the "neg rep" at some point.

PS. And one could get a lot of "neg rep" there by simply being a contrarian. Some fans love their favorite stars to death.

6. Collapse Details
    That is very interesting - both the question and the answer. (I'll give you both a big "helpful" on that one!)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    by simply being a contrarian.
    On a separate note: one of the things I told my 2 sons growing up was to question everything, especially politics and advertising...and take nothing at face value. "Contrarian" was a label of distinction and honor (if you believed in your convictions, and weren't just being a jerk).

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    The member with the worst reputation in the forum history has long since been banned, but he accumulated a total of 40 "helpful" out of 468 ratings. Accordingly, his reputation display was four red squares.
    am i the only one who finds this sort of hilarious? to reach that level of unhelpfulness is almost a skill.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
    ... On a separate note: one of the things I told my 2 sons growing up was to question everything, especially politics and advertising...and take nothing at face value. "Contrarian" was a label of distinction and honor (if you believed in your convictions, and weren't just being a jerk).
    No, after over a decade on that site, I ended up being far more right than wrong but, regardless of that, I was still getting "trolling" complaints.

A typical exchange.

Poster X : Joe Jim Jones will make it big at this team/club.

Me : Considering that he hadn't started for them this season and there are two players in front of him on the depth chart, his chances of making it big there are slim to none and slim is partying with Elvis.

(a trolling complaint lodged against me)

A PM from the mods - Hello Mr. So-n-so. You are banned from this particular thread.

Half a year later, Joe Jim Jones gets cut/sold/traded to team much lower on a food chain.

And I am still banned from his thread, though I never expressed any personal animosity toward Joe Jim Jones and only stated my opinion of his professional future. And proved 100% correct.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.