Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Restaurant TV commercials shot on DVX200
    Cool
    Greetings! I had the opportunity to shoot some television commercials this weekend for a local quick-serve healthy food restaurant franchise here in Texas. Here's my story:

Earlier this year I was asked by Jerry Medina, principle of advertising agency Aviso Media Group, to photograph a new campaign of television commercials for Siempre Natural, a quick-service restaurant franchise, in Mexico and Texas, with a menu they describe as ‘American with a Mexican Flair’. Siempre Natural serves wraps, pitas, yogurts and salads with natural fruit drinks. To promote the healthy (and tasty) brand, the new spots would need to be as colorful, fresh, and fun, as their food. After discussing the desired style of the spots with Jerry, we began prep. It was decided we would need at least three bilingual employees, plus 15-20 extras.

This past Friday evening, I met with Jerry and representatives of the client at the North 10th location in McAllen, Texas. We discussed our intentions for the weekend shoot and formulated our plans. I scouted the location with my iPhone 7 Plus, Cadrage, a director's finder app, Cine Meter II, a light meter app, and Sky Guide, an app very useful for predicting the travel of our sun. Cadrage, a French word meaning 'framing', is very useful as it can emulate the field of view of any combination of camera and lens. Once the pre-viz images have been recorded, a PDF shot list can be created and emailed to anyone on the production team. Production would commence Saturday morning from 7 to 11 AM, and Sunday morning 9 AM to 12 noon.

When I arrived Saturday morning, I ordered the front, Eastward-facing windows and glass door, covered in black muslin to avoid fighting color temperatures and morning shadows. Unhappy with the weak punch and short throw of my available LED lights, I had recently created an old-school tungsten light kit for use on an upcoming short film. Consisting of three Strand Ianiro 1000 'redheads', as well as the Strand version of what Arri calls a 'mini flood', I immediately put the new-to-me kit to use on the production of these TV spots.

The Ianiro redheads are proper 1k tungsten open-face focus-flood lights and need to be softened for flattering closeups. I would generally punch two redheads through a 6x6" butterfly of artificial silk. On closeups and direct-to-camera standups I would use a small, bi-color, LED Obie light set at 3200 Kelvin with just enough punch to lighten up the shadows. Backgrounds would be lit with the mini flood, plus another redhead through 216 for a kicker.

I opted to shoot the footage with my Panasonic AG-DVX200 video camera. Needing at least 1080/24p ProRes 422 10-bit to pull a grade from the camera's Varicam V-log L and 10-bit 4:2:2 output, I recorded the footage externally to my Atomos Ninja Blade, and monitored the footage with my SmallHD AC7-SDI on-camera field monitor. Preferring physical filtration, I used DVX200's built-in neutral density for exposure, plus a Tiffen Black Pro-Mist 1/2 to take the digital edge off.

We did not have the time we needed to sweeten every shot as much as I would have enjoyed, but I think the photography is dynamic and colorful enough to squelch any nags. Also, I believe the 12 stops of dynamic range afforded by the DVX200's V-log L, as well as the 10-bit 4:2:2 recording via the Atomos Ninja Blade, help by giving me plenty of room to grade the footage reasonably well in post.

The spots will be cut and graded in Final Cut Pro X with a little FilmConvert magic. Overall, I am happy with how they are turning out. I will post BTS photos and the completed spots once completed.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Last edited by JRJphoto; 04-10-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    Jason R. Johnston
    Cinematographer

web: jasonrjohnston.com
    email: jrjphoto@gmail.com
    phone: +1 (956) 563-5056

2. Collapse Details
    Great article. Thanks for posting I love reading about the process.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCohen View Post
    Great article. Thanks for posting I love reading about the process.
    +1

4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Design Media Consultants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JRJphoto View Post
    Greetings! I had the opportunity to shoot some television commercials this weekend for a local quick-serve healthy food restaurant franchise here in Texas. I wrote about my experience so far on my blog (will continue to refine it as I think about things to say and to respond to anyone's questions) and will have the finished spots uploaded when they're approved. Ask me anything you like here or in the comments section of the blog post on my website and I'll integrate the answers into the post. All comments and inquiries are welcome. There's lots of BTS photos, too.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!
    Can't believe you got all that gear in your Nisson Sentra! LOL I think I could fit your Nission inside of my last vehicle. Now I have a small Van. It can hold a lot of gear, but still gets 25 miles to the gallon.

Is that girl in the photo paid talent or an employee?
    Also curious as to why you are using a separate recorder and monitor. Would it be better to use one piece of gear?
    The photos look very good. Looking forward to the commercial coming out.

5. Collapse Details
    On the girl's face, you seem to have excellent skin tones on the areas not impacted by her makeup. Would some power on the forehead and something on the lips to stop the reflection have helped? Looks almost blown out and clipped. And the pink on her cheeks - should she have blended it better? Or maybe used a more natural color? Curious, because makeup seems to be one of my weak spots knowledge wise. But it really has an impact. Professional talent should know how to apply make up. But I have worked with business people and makeup is an issue. But like a said, the skin tone on her neck and parts of her face look really good.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Design Media Consultants View Post
    excellent skin tones on the areas not impacted by her makeup
    I know what you mean. Wasn't my choice...that was a client decision. Me and the MUA traded looks. lol
    Jason R. Johnston
    Cinematographer

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    I think I could fit your Nission inside of my last vehicle.
    lol

Is that girl in the photo paid talent or an employee?
    Employee.

Also curious as to why you are using a separate recorder and monitor. Would it be better to use one piece of gear?
    95% of the time, DVX200 with just a battery and a card are all you need. Maybe add a tripod or monopod and an on-board shotgun mic. A near-naked DVX200 is highly capable. However, sometimes you just want a bit more flexibility and DVX200 can accommodate that. I wanted to pull as much information as I could from the sensor and the best way to do that is shoot with V-log L and output 10-bit 4:2:2 to have footage robust enough to grade to taste. There are devices out there that are both recorders and monitors, but I already have a monitor so I just bought a small recorder that didn't have a monitor. That means more stuff on my DVX200, but it also means I didn't need to spend $1500 right now (saving up for an Ursa Mini Pro). A bit cumbersome, but it got the job done. Needed the monitor to make sure I was actually recording something AND for the client/agency to view. Of course, I ALSO need something that supports LUTs because I do have to explain the whole "that flat image is not what the spot will look like". Pix-E5 in my future...

The photos look very good. Looking forward to the commercial coming out.
    Thanks! Me too
    Jason R. Johnston
    Cinematographer

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    I think you were fortunate that the employee actually looked attractive - relatively speaking. Obviously we often have little control of the talent choice. She looks like she fits the part well. I have shot vids where the person looked so bad, I though they would actually break my lens. This looks like it will be a good shoot.

9. Collapse Details
    I didn't show the other employees. This one has actually had some modelling/talent experience before. The others? Not so much. You'll see what I mean soon. lol
    Jason R. Johnston
    Cinematographer

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JRJphoto View Post
    I didn't show the other employees. This one has actually had some modelling/talent experience before. The others? Not so much. You'll see what I mean soon. lol
    I thought she looked really good and can see that she might of had some experience. She also has a beautiful set of chompers. Hope the rest of the crew doesn't hurt my eyes. Joking aside, I think the commercial should look really good. Especially if it is on par with your other work. Look forward to seeing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast