Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Collapse Details
    Restaurant TV commercials shot on DVX200
    #1
    Senior Member JRJphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    289
    Cool
    Greetings! I had the opportunity to shoot some television commercials this weekend for a local quick-serve healthy food restaurant franchise here in Texas. I wrote about my experience so far on my blog (will continue to refine it as I think about things to say and to respond to anyone's questions) and will have the finished spots uploaded when they're approved. Ask me anything you like here or in the comments section of the blog post on my website and I'll integrate the answers into the post. All comments and inquiries are welcome. There's lots of BTS photos, too.

    Check out the blog post here: http://www.jasonrjohnston.com/blog/s...mercial-shoot/

    FullSizeRender.jpg

    Thanks for checking it out!
    Jason R. Johnston
    Fifty Oars Motion Pictures


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Default
    Great article. Thanks for posting I love reading about the process.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    217
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCohen View Post
    Great article. Thanks for posting I love reading about the process.
    +1


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by JRJphoto View Post
    Greetings! I had the opportunity to shoot some television commercials this weekend for a local quick-serve healthy food restaurant franchise here in Texas. I wrote about my experience so far on my blog (will continue to refine it as I think about things to say and to respond to anyone's questions) and will have the finished spots uploaded when they're approved. Ask me anything you like here or in the comments section of the blog post on my website and I'll integrate the answers into the post. All comments and inquiries are welcome. There's lots of BTS photos, too.

    Check out the blog post here: http://www.jasonrjohnston.com/blog/s...mercial-shoot/

    FullSizeRender.jpg

    Thanks for checking it out!
    Can't believe you got all that gear in your Nisson Sentra! LOL I think I could fit your Nission inside of my last vehicle. Now I have a small Van. It can hold a lot of gear, but still gets 25 miles to the gallon.

    Is that girl in the photo paid talent or an employee?
    Also curious as to why you are using a separate recorder and monitor. Would it be better to use one piece of gear?
    The photos look very good. Looking forward to the commercial coming out.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Default
    On the girl's face, you seem to have excellent skin tones on the areas not impacted by her makeup. Would some power on the forehead and something on the lips to stop the reflection have helped? Looks almost blown out and clipped. And the pink on her cheeks - should she have blended it better? Or maybe used a more natural color? Curious, because makeup seems to be one of my weak spots knowledge wise. But it really has an impact. Professional talent should know how to apply make up. But I have worked with business people and makeup is an issue. But like a said, the skin tone on her neck and parts of her face look really good.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member JRJphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    289
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Design Media Consultants View Post
    excellent skin tones on the areas not impacted by her makeup
    I know what you mean. Wasn't my choice...that was a client decision. Me and the MUA traded looks. lol
    Jason R. Johnston
    Fifty Oars Motion Pictures


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member JRJphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    289
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Design Media Consultants View Post
    I think I could fit your Nission inside of my last vehicle.
    lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Design Media Consultants View Post
    Is that girl in the photo paid talent or an employee?
    Employee.

    Quote Originally Posted by Design Media Consultants View Post
    Also curious as to why you are using a separate recorder and monitor. Would it be better to use one piece of gear?
    95% of the time, DVX200 with just a battery and a card are all you need. Maybe add a tripod or monopod and an on-board shotgun mic. A near-naked DVX200 is highly capable. However, sometimes you just want a bit more flexibility and DVX200 can accommodate that. I wanted to pull as much information as I could from the sensor and the best way to do that is shoot with V-log L and output 10-bit 4:2:2 to have footage robust enough to grade to taste. There are devices out there that are both recorders and monitors, but I already have a monitor so I just bought a small recorder that didn't have a monitor. That means more stuff on my DVX200, but it also means I didn't need to spend $1500 right now (saving up for an Ursa Mini Pro). A bit cumbersome, but it got the job done. Needed the monitor to make sure I was actually recording something AND for the client/agency to view. Of course, I ALSO need something that supports LUTs because I do have to explain the whole "that flat image is not what the spot will look like". Pix-E5 in my future...

    Quote Originally Posted by Design Media Consultants View Post
    The photos look very good. Looking forward to the commercial coming out.
    Thanks! Me too
    Jason R. Johnston
    Fifty Oars Motion Pictures


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •