Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Still liking my AG AC90A!
    I tend to be using the little old AC90A more than my other (better) cameras on 1 camera shoots. The little thing produces nice images straight out of the box and it's small size and weight along with ease of use make it simple to use.
    My biggest gripe for sure is the weak built-in neutral density. Sure, it's better than no ND, but having to carry a ND filter around for sunny days reduces some of that "ease of use."

Nonetheless, I am still glad I got one when they became discontinued and discounted.
    It's probably solely thanks to this forum that I was introduced to the original AC90 surprise unveiling back in 2012 (to most everyone's surprise) and learned about it.
    Plus my CGA-D54 batteries can be shared with a possible future HC-X1 or UX180.

You guys still liking yours?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    You guys still liking yours?
    Yep! So much so that when they were discontinued I bought a second brand new one from a legit dealer at a silly price as they wanted to shift the last one*.

Now I have a pair of AC90's (well one upgraded AC90 and one AC90A) that I can use in two camera jobs and makes editing clips from both simple. They are both set up the same and I only have to remember one set of controls and menus.

*Actually it was just before Christmas so I got big (25-30%) discounts on all the other bits to go with it so win-win-win :-)

3. Collapse Details
    Glad to hear they are still serving you well, jagraphics. I remember back when you were trying to make that choice

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    Glad to hear they are still serving you well, jagraphics. I remember back when you were trying to make that choice
    Realised that I did not need 4K. Lets fase it most is viewed on line at 720 and 1080 on sub 22 inch screens, more on tablets or phones. The majority of TV's are still 1080HD. (with some still 720) Even on 4K screens for the sort of work I am dong 1080 is as good as it needs to be. As I am 60 I think these cameras will serve me well for a decade. If I am still able to operate a camera at 70 I will think again.

The other problem is storage. I "only" have 24TB raid storage. SO I am sticking with 1080p

5. Collapse Details
    A couple of years on and still happy with the Ac90, looking to convert to V-lock batteries. It seems both Panasonic and IDX have discontinued the batteries for the AC90

Upgraded the other Server to 60-Tb so now have one at 24TB and one at 60TB and have about 10 2TB drives, left over from the upgrades, as archive.

Realised that even though I have a 4KTV Net-flicks and Amazon Prime only reach me at 1080p.....
    Also discovered that the BBC TV News studios still use SD cameras!! Also most TV is SD or 720HD

As I am not shooting for cinema I don't need 4K and the AC90 is great. for news/documentary work

Re the ND filter I have an external one coupled with an UV/IR cut filter.

6. Collapse Details
    test

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jamedia.uk View Post
    A couple of years on and still happy with the Ac90, looking to convert to V-lock batteries. It seems both Panasonic and IDX have discontinued the batteries for the AC90
    Hi. The battery is still avail at b&h

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=y

I personally wouldn't run the ac90 off v mount because of the added weight. The ac90 is so light and easy to use. I don't recall ever having to change batteries in a day if I started with a full one. Of course with a v mount I guess you could run all week
    After all these years I still like the old ac90a. It's lighter than my ux180, has a better LCD screen that you can turn focus peaking on in auto and has no delay. That insufficient ND is still the big gripe for me

8. Collapse Details
    Hi,

"Still available" but not in production. Apparently they were stopped because there was very low sales. So I would grab them whilst you can. The UK office of IDX has some ( http://www.idx-europe.co.uk/products/sl-vbd50/ ) but when they are gone they are gone.

The BIG problem is that the larger two SL-VBD64 and SL-VBD96 are electrically compatible but 5mm wider and just to big to fit inthe hole for the battery :-(

The batteries, I am told, have a life and that is 3-7 years with most 4-5 apparently. I have noticed my original batteries are not lasting as long. Hence trying to get some more.

I will post my V-lock solution when I have put it together. I have it all bar one mounting bracket so I can't assemble it It is heavier but on a rail system it act as as a counter balance for the camera and the whole lot should handle better. Also V-lock can power other things at the same time.

This should extend the life of my AC90's way past the point when my SL-VBD50's die. IT wil also mean I only need one type of battery to power the camera, lights, monitor etc. I expect the V-lock system to outlive me.

9. Collapse Details
    Solved the problem Talked to IDX and got a solution (thanks to Rob Holland and Neil Marflitt)

P-V257 V-Mount Plate with 2 x 2-pin D-Tap Outputs [1 x 12~16V DC, 1 x Regulated Switchable 5V / 7.3V DC]
    C-PANCP2 DC Cable for use with Panasonic CGA-D type: HVX200 / HPX250/ HPX 270 / AGAC90 / AGAC 8 / (use with P-V257)

Link to full set of notes and pictures here...
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986797025

(I realised I was trying to maintain two near identical posts. )
    Last edited by jamedia.uk; 08-03-2019 at 02:04 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks and good point about the difference between "still available" and "discontinued / no longer in production." I may buy another extra since I have 3 cameras that use those batteries.

Regarding the CGA D54 battery life. I sold my 2004 cameras in 2014 with the original Panasonic batteries still working great. I still have either a 2006 or 2008 one I currently use with my AC90. So I'm not sure how long these things last.

The newer Panasonic battery line such as this large one
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ttery_for.html
    work in the AG UX180. The old CGA D54 also works in the AG UX180. So I wonder if the new line of Panasonic batteries work in the old AG AC90?
    If so, then this SWIT would: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...camcorder.html which as a power tap.

Since you've got a plan worked out with V-locks I don't suppose it matters. But there probably are a number of AC90 users left out there that might be interested.

Thanks for sharing all the great info. Being able to power the cam plus accessories all from a V-mount is handy for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast