Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    [9000PL] Powering the SRW-9000PL
    I purchased a 9000PL and just want to see if any other owners/users of the 9000PL have some insight on battery power. I have read the manual, and perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but I want to confirm my understanding.

The manual recommends only using Sony's BP-GL95 batteries and even notes that they should be used "for safety," whatever that means.

However, the manual also states:

"This unit operates on DC 12 V (11 to 17 V)
    power. Supply power by connecting it directly to
    a DC power source or by using a battery pack or
    AC adaptor."

Which leads me to believe I could use any Sony V-Mount within the 11 - 17V range.

I was looking at getting this https://www.amazon.com/MAXOAK-12000m...+mount+battery

which is 14.8 V 12000mAh - so I won't have to swap batteries as often. I just have this paranoia if I don't use a battery with the exact specs of the BP-GL95 I could fry something.

The battery on Amazon states in order for my camera to be compatible it must require the following:

"Input voltage: 12-16.8V
    Current: less than 10A
    V mounted"

The manual for the 9000PL mentions the 10A current being the max, and that there is a warning if the current exceeds 9A.

Long story short I believe I can use the linked to battery with the 9000PL, but I was wondering how any users here are powering their 9000s

I probably answered my own question here, but I know very little about Voltage and Current and I don't want to break anything. Thank you for your time.

2. Collapse Details
    I'm the same way with power and not recommending anything, but just wanted to mention that's a great battery.

3. Collapse Details
    I'll also vouch for the MAXOAKs. I bought 5 of them for my F35 and they work fine. I am tempted to get a Scatterbox so I can sleep at night but otherwise they're good to go.
    Kyle Drexler
    Bruiser

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by trafficn View Post
    I'll also vouch for the MAXOAKs. I bought 5 of them for my F35 and they work fine. I am tempted to get a Scatterbox so I can sleep at night but otherwise they're good to go.
    I am curious if the power requirements for the F35 are the same as the 9000PL, I would imagine they would be identical. Still, would love to hear from someone that owns a 9000 or has definite knowledge if this is compatible.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivko FIlm View Post
    I am curious if the power requirements for the F35 are the same as the 9000PL, I would imagine they would be identical. Still, would love to hear from someone that owns a 9000 or has definite knowledge if this is compatible.

I don't know for sure but it would probably be similar to the f35 with the srw-1 recorder which is about 110 watts.

6. Collapse Details
    Based on my experience, the inrush current of SRW-9000 seems to be larger than F35+SRW-1 possibly.
    It may be strange but 10A is not really safe actually. I sometimes experienced buttery shut down for surge protection at the startups.

So I think the safe route is BP-GL95, which I also assume is the only battery SRW-9000 can access the battery info.
    Last edited by acky; 03-21-2017 at 08:09 AM.

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by acky View Post
    Based on my experience, the inrush current of SRW-9000 seems to be larger than F35+SRW-1 possibly.
    It may be strange but 10A is not really safe actually. I sometimes experienced buttery shut down for surge protection at the startups.

So I think the safe route is BP-GL95, which I also assume is the only battery SRW-9000 can access the battery info.
    Yes, the manual states 10A is not okay and it will shut it down for safety. I turned it on with my 14.8V FYI and everything went just fine.

9. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I'm just curious--what is the attraction of a 9000PL over a straight F35? Thought it was just the integration of the HDCAM tape deck into the body. I'm sure no-one is using tape at this stage, so isn't it just adding bulk and weight? Also--I would guess that if you aren't running tape, the power draw is significantly less than the 10 amps nominal...?
    Charles Papert

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    I'm just curious--what is the attraction of a 9000PL over a straight F35? Thought it was just the integration of the HDCAM tape deck into the body. I'm sure no-one is using tape at this stage, so isn't it just adding bulk and weight? Also--I would guess that if you aren't running tape, the power draw is significantly less than the 10 amps nominal...?
    The main appeal is that it is like the next gen f35. Actually its half the weight, size and power consumption of f35, 3gsdi possible, extended 800iso mode, and they are often paired with the C30RW viewfinder when sold second hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast