Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by anatusa View Post
    There were no Bananas in Chicago, maybe thats why...

it was just too deferent for me, it was not bad or good, but very very different! had no job issues or anything like that... i gave it a try, but it did not work out to me... i had to return back home.

I am not saying its impossible to live else where, but its definitely not for everyone, and lots of things to consider, like not seeing family regularly for example.
    I understand. I was worried at first for my wife coming to the southwestern desert with cold winters at 7000 feet, strange food, but she adopted very well and after 9 years considers SantaFe her home. I on the other hand want to live in Thailand and feel very comfortable here in the Buddhist culture. My wife wants to stay in the US because she has a store here in Santa Fe, I have a feeling we will end up half the time in Thailand and half in Santa Fe.

Anyhow after running into Steve here the thought of possibly doing some video work here became intriguing.... we'll see what happens. I have been calculating an exit from the USA.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    "I have a rule I live by, more of an observation really...... those that accuse others of being racists are in fact racists. Thai's are extremely racist. My wife is Thai. "

Don't think I am not finding humor in this thread.
    Yea, these days your racial narrative means nothing to me. You have succeeded in deluding the word by your ridiculous examples of highlights, and bohka, then trying to frame me as racist. I don't know what exactly your problem is, but it's obvious you need some help. Maybe you are yourself a racist, or maybe just a pissed off angry man, or whatever your preferred gender identity happens to be today.

I tell it like it is, in Asia there is somewhat of a caste system, if you have an issue with this, then buy a plane ticket here, get a soapbox stand on the corner and preach your anti-racist narrative until yer blue, black or whatever color your face exhibites in the Bangkok heat when nobody gives a crap about your bulls*%t.

3. Collapse Details
    This thread is becoming a bit difficult. Many of us here have hardly met each other and may not meet in a lifetime. So what is the point in fighting, calling names etc? Better to ignore than fight and waste energy.

PS: Rich and poor is a state of mind.
    Sabyasachi Patra / Wild Tiger Productions
    Equipment Reviews:http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/category/equipment/
    Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/IndiaWilds
    Profile:http://www.indiawilds.com/about.htm

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by indiawilds View Post
    This thread is becoming a bit difficult. Many of us here have hardly met each other and may not meet in a lifetime. So what is the point in fighting, calling names etc? Better to ignore than fight and waste energy.

PS: Rich and poor is a state of mind.
    Curious as to your take on the subject of blownout highlights and Asian obsession with this artistic approach.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
    Curious as to your take on the subject of blownout highlights and Asian obsession with this artistic approach.
    I have only visited Thailand for meetings and pleasure and I have no idea about their cinema. And I have no idea about blownout highlights being an Asian obsession. Never heard about it before. I have seen all the masterpieces of Akira Kurosawa from Japan and Satyajit Ray, Ritwik Ghatak, Mrinal Sen, Guru Dutt as well as new Indian filmmakers and never noticed it. Wong Kar Wai has shot many films in bangkok and chinese streets. I don't remember the blown highlight bit.
    Sabyasachi Patra / Wild Tiger Productions
    Equipment Reviews:http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/category/equipment/
    Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/IndiaWilds
    Profile:http://www.indiawilds.com/about.htm

6. Collapse Details
    It's spelled "bokeh"...

7. Collapse Details
    OP - do you speak Thai? Good luck in any foreign country when you don't speak the language, especially when new.

So much more than a camera choice to become 'rich' in what you make sound like a quaint little place. Do some research on the place you're going, connect with people there before, show your portfolio around first, then decide.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I will refrain from getting into a stereotype debates - though, I think it's silly to accuse someone with a Thai wife and residence of being anti-Thai - but, off a lot of the UK productions, they prefer a lot flatter look "over there". It's been brought up on Sony related threads and the implications were that a cloudy/rainy day provides for a general low contrast diffused look that is often displayed in their TV productions.
    As a (very) broad generalisation, a typical UK lighting style is more subtle than in the US. It has nothing to do with the weather.
    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @wordsbyliam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by indiawilds View Post
    I have only visited Thailand for meetings and pleasure and I have no idea about their cinema. And I have no idea about blownout highlights being an Asian obsession. Never heard about it before. I have seen all the masterpieces of Akira Kurosawa from Japan and Satyajit Ray, Ritwik Ghatak, Mrinal Sen, Guru Dutt as well as new Indian filmmakers and never noticed it. Wong Kar Wai has shot many films in bangkok and chinese streets. I don't remember the blown highlight bit.
    I wasn't referring to Thai cinema , nor Japanese cinema, I specifically said Thai TV , and commercials. So you never noticed it or saw it, fair enough, unless you've spent time here then perhaps you wouldn't notice it. Ive traveled to Thailand for the past ten years some of those years 6 times in a year. I have noticed the blown-out highlights and painted white faces, similar to Geisha Girls of Japan. Figured someone on a video forum might know what Im talking about but I guess not.... ha ha!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by greymog View Post
    OP - do you speak Thai? Good luck in any foreign country when you don't speak the language, especially when new.

So much more than a camera choice to become 'rich' in what you make sound like a quaint little place. Do some research on the place you're going, connect with people there before, show your portfolio around first, then decide.
    I don't speak Thai I have no need to at this point in my life, as my Thai-wife speaks pretty good English and we live in the US. Most educated Thai's speak decent English. I do read, write and speak Tibetan, and have taught Tibetan language classes, based completely on Sanskrit BTW, but I digress.

I do understand the importance of speaking the language of the people of which country you are in. My wife and I were discussing this the other day if we decide to live here, then of course I would learn Thai..... no big deal. However foreigners or farang as we are called, who know Thai, are considered low people, you can try a figure that one out, as I'll refrain from further comment.

Never occurred to me to make any kind of living with Video production until I ran into someone who did. If you are found working in Thailand and are on a retirement visa you will be deported immediately. You can work here if you hire 4 Thai's in your company.

As far as my comments about a C300 MKII and getting rich. I would assume most people on this forum would have had a little laugh about that. It appears however from some responses to my post, a sense of humor, and recognition of a little sarcasm in some people are lacking.
    Last edited by Michael Thames; Yesterday at 10:12 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast