Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What part of iPhone don't you get? These newer phones are capable of better quality still and video than some of the cameras I had in the past. All sorts of people are contributing some amazing stuff, just with a smartphone. I got a quick gig in Palm Beach about 15 years ago, shooting something that was supposed to be a pilot for an MTV show. Being a new videographer, I was surprised that I was the only one there with Gaffer's tape, and enough cords and power supplies. While i was shooting some B Roll stuff, there was a gy with his assistant also shooting some B Roll. He was using a really tiny consumer cam on a mini steadycam unit, spinning it around, doing all sorts of waves with it. Nowadays, nobody has those cheap little video cameras, they get better results with an iPhones cam, and yes, there are steadycams and lenses, and other gear for them. No need to pay thousands for gear anymore, and anyone can do a video.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Quirk View Post
    What part of iPhone don't you get? These newer phones are capable of better quality still and video than some of the cameras I had in the past. All sorts of people are contributing some amazing stuff, just with a smartphone. I got a quick gig in Palm Beach about 15 years ago, shooting something that was supposed to be a pilot for an MTV show. Being a new videographer, I was surprised that I was the only one there with Gaffer's tape, and enough cords and power supplies. While i was shooting some B Roll stuff, there was a gy with his assistant also shooting some B Roll. He was using a really tiny consumer cam on a mini steadycam unit, spinning it around, doing all sorts of waves with it. Nowadays, nobody has those cheap little video cameras, they get better results with an iPhones cam, and yes, there are steadycams and lenses, and other gear for them. No need to pay thousands for gear anymore, and anyone can do a video.
    but the thing with iphones is you can't plug in xlr into the camera that I'm aware of or see waveform, histogram etc on a field monitor.

3. Collapse Details
    Easy. . .don't use sync sound and leave everything on auto--you're golden!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    Easy. . .don't use sync sound and leave everything on auto--you're golden!
    then what if you need an interview with a lav mic direct into a camera and you use an iphone?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by offbeatbryce View Post
    then what if you need an interview with a lav mic direct into a camera and you use an iphone?

http://www.rode.com/videomicme simples....

Actually I have one of these and an iPhone (using filmic pro) and ear buds in the back of the mic to monitor. Great for doing on the fly interviews at trade shows and conferences. Not my first choice but for a camera and sound rig in your pocket they are equate good.

6. Collapse Details
    I was sort of being "cute". . .more of a joke about where people's standards are these days. If clients are happy with that kinda stuff, and the prices for "videographers" that come with it. . .I can't really compete at that point.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    I was sort of being "cute". . .more of a joke about where people's standards are these days. If clients are happy with that kinda stuff, and the prices for "videographers" that come with it. . .I can't really compete at that point.
    That is the entire point of my statements. A band wants a music video, but are short on cash. New videographer wants to do music videos, but doesn't have the experience or street cred to do videos for (Insert hot group name here), but because he has a few grand in gear, refuses to shoot for next to nothing. There is a whole lot of space between band with no money, and videographer with no name and expensive gear, and a whole lot of people willing to fill the gap. Same goes for mechanics, web designers, whatever,.

8. Collapse Details
    Re the iPhone.... it's good for impromptu live "on the conference floor" interviews. The ones where less than 100% sound and video is "acceptable" Though from choice I would not use it.
    BTW see https://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/15...-ad-iphone-5s/ I have an iPhone5S if some one can lend me a Bentley...

Re the bands. Yes they videographer may have sweated for $$$$$$ of kit but so to has the band. They probably don't make a proper living out of the band.

I years ago I went to see an unknown band, they couldn't play as there was a problem with their PA system. Me and a mate sorted it for them and they played. They gave us a signed photo of the band and a cassette tape of their music. I sometimes wonder what happened to them. Does anyone know what happened to a group called Iron Maiden? :-)
    I swapped the photo and tape for a grope with a groupie..... the follies of youth :-)

The points made in the posts above are that the band has probably not eaten for a week in order to get the kit and fuel for the van to get to the gig. IF you need/want some music videos practise on them for free. If they go nowhere that's life, though you have gained experience and made contacts however if they do go somewhere you have the "early days" and "vintage" stuff that will be worth serious money and probably a better than evens chance of working with them for $$$$$ when or as they are making it.

Some times you do it just for the fun of it. Most bands are doing it for that reason they will never make a serious living out of ti.

9. Collapse Details
    I always laugh when I hear people call it the music business, when it's often far un-businesslike. Freebies or cheap jobs are fine, if YOU want to do them for some purpose of your own, so you get some value. Personally, I'm fed up with musicians who plead poverty, want stuff for free and often have a very over-valued opinion of themselves, and have no understanding of the work they want people to do 'for a drink', or experience.

I'm a musician, and own a lighting sound and video business - so have both viewpoints. We often quote for a gig, and find somebody willing to do it for 10% of our charge. We don't worry because working for little money/no money, or even paying to play is a mugs game.

Odd how the terribly poor musicians often have VERY expensive guitar collections.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Odd how the terribly poor musicians often have VERY expensive guitar collections.
    Ditto audio/video people... they are poor because they spend on gear. :-)
    Its probably more common than you think... add up the cost/value of all your kit. I looked at mine for insurance renewal and it's frightening.

I agree that musicians think they are the next Musical Genius/God/Mega-rock-star . It they didn't they wouldn't be doing it. It only needs this one video/song/lucky-break and they will have Made It then you will be paid well for the next video... They believe it.

I also agree that nothing is free in this life and there must be a quid pro quo. So even if no money changes hands there must be real benefit in both directions.

I haves done several events for "free" recently as it has directly saved me equal or greater amount in direct costs in a different direction. It also opened some doors to doing more of the same, but paid sensible rates. So whilst no cash came in: it has saved me in hard cash on a different bottom line.

I am doing another "low cost" gig because it is
    1 a friend
    2 gets me into a location that would be difficult to get otherwise (and is giving me contacts etc to get in again*)
    3 gets me experience with this sort of shoot
    4 lines me up for some more (at a better price)
    5 opening doors for some other opportunities at commercial rates.

* I did this a few years ago, again for a friend, and it fell apart after the event due to their internal politics. I have the only video and stills shot in the historic location (ever) and it is unlikely that there will ever be any done in the next 25 years. I have a unique set of material :-)

That said you do need an income to buy the little luxuries in life like food, cloths and somewhere to live.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast