Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    music video pricing for musicians who can't afford anything
    I'm struggling to figure out what to charge for music videos and concerts. I know a guy in my area that books concerts. None of the musicians he books earns more than 100 dollars a night. I even know some of these musicians and they can't even afford anything over 200. How the heck are they getting music videos and concerts filmed for them? I can't just say I will film for them for nothing. what do I do if I want to build up my film business if I can't charge anything over 200?

2. Collapse Details
    Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
    Ask for the use of music for your other projects, do it as a labor of love, or just do it because you want to get better.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    strange... I am just opposite as you, actually I am finding musicians to film free MV for them as my profile to get some MV client.

4. Collapse Details
    If you want to run a business you should set pricing based on expenses, equipment depreciation, your salary and profit.

If a band wants a video but can't afford it's really too bad for the band!

Hope this helps:

Last edited by Cary Knoop; 03-19-2017 at 10:46 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    If you want to run a business you should set pricing based on expenses, equipment depreciation, your salary and profit.

If a band wants a video but can't afford it's really too bad for the band!

Hope this helps:

I understand what you are saying and appreciate the video but how are the bands even getting music videos made? Like I know this one singers who's gotten 4 music videos made by a professional filmmaker in LA but they can only afford 200. Like how did they get this filmmaker to make 4 music videos?

6. Collapse Details
    If a filmmaker needs music video footage to get into making paid music videos I can see they do it. Or if they know the band and just wants to help.

It's like I've done a few times with friends that have an idea they want to shoot and I see it as interesting or worthwhile to participate.

7. Collapse Details
    Well I think that when you're starting out and you want something better than cityscapes etc for your reel a big obstacle is paying for performers for your films. Bands, of course, are keen to perform if they get a video out of it. It's a symbiotic relationship at this level. No-one would suggest that a band making good money, recording, playing larger venues, with a management and/or a record deal should expect free video work; but at the stage where each party to the deal stands to gain something out of it I don't think there's an issue.

To put it another way - absolutely no-one makes a living out of producing videos for bands that get paid a hundred bucks for a gig.

8. Collapse Details
    The real issue here is that even if you decide to do a MV for nothing, to help the band, to fill out your reel, there's no budget to actually make it. If you're going to do a freebie you at least want it to be worth your time in end result right? To do it right takes L&G, people, camera & support, art dept etc etc.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

9. Collapse Details
    Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
    Quote Originally Posted by offbeatbryce View Post
    I understand what you are saying and appreciate the video but how are the bands even getting music videos made? Like I know this one singers who's gotten 4 music videos made by a professional filmmaker in LA but they can only afford 200. Like how did they get this filmmaker to make 4 music videos?
    Because for every video guy wanting to make money, there are 20 guys who are willing to shoot it with their iPhone, and get experience, and get their stuff noticed for free. Some of these "Shade Tree Videographers" do get noticed, and go on from there. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

10. Collapse Details
    Back in the old days the bands would pay you in coke and groupies. Its how I met my first wife.

Big sources matter.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast