1. Collapse Details
    Need on-set capture and playback at 1x reverse--best method?
    Director of Photography
    Hiya folks, hoping someone here can help out with a solution.

For a shoot this weekend we are shooting high speed (Arri Minis to 200 fps) for a piece that will ultimately include those clips in reverse. We will play out the clips on the camera to watch the high speed material but we would also need to immediately capture that playback and then run it in reverse out to monitors.

I first looked into outboard recorders, like the Atomos line, the Pix 240 etc. It appears that none of them have an easy way to lock into a clean 1x reverse speed. The Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio line (full size and new mini) have the 1x speed as a clickstop on the shuttle knob, but you have to go through the fractional speeds first and I don't have anywhere to test the unit let alone rent one in time.

I tried it out via software also. The closest I got was capturing in Resolve, then it's a simple matter of clicking off capture and selecting the clip below. Dedicated reverse play button, and easy to scrub to the appropriate place in the clip, plus visual reference in the clip list. Seemed like a good solution, in concert with an Ultrastudio Express that I already own. I have both a Macbook Air and a Mac Mini on my cart that I use for various functions but neither have robust enough graphics cards to manage the task. It worked fine on my Mac Pro. However I don't have room to shlep the trashcan around on the cart.

Questions: can anyone tell me if a late model Macbook Pro can manage to capture an HD source in Resolve (ProRes422LT is fine) and playback via Ultrastudio Express or similar without stuttering? Or, any other playback devices that are easily available that may have this capability that I've overlooked? Obviously a dedicated playback person with Q-take is ideal, but not possible for this job.

Thanks!
    Charles Papert

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Answering my own question on this as I learned that last summer's firmware update to the Atomos Shogun and Ninja products included a variable slow forward and reverse (a virtual shuttle wheel, if you will) and the max reverse is 100%, or 1x reverse. Tried it this afternoon and it will work for us.
    Charles Papert