1. Collapse Details
    GH4 Speedbooster / Focal Reducer Options, Opinions, Reviews etc.
    Hey all,

I'm about to start adapting lenses (particular old Nikkor's) to my GH4. I used some native lenses for a bit and just couldn't get the filmic look I wanted, particularly depth-of-field. I've decided to go with the Nikkors because they have a great rep. and can be adapted to nearly any system. Anyway, I'm really not in the place to drop $500 on the Metabones Speedbooster. Hard to believe a manual adapter is that pricey. Especially when I've seen pretty good reviews on the Zhongyi Mitakon Turbo II Focal Reducer Booster.

A couple of things to keep in mind...

-I'm ONLY using the GH4 for video and won't be pixel peeping my footage. I of course want it to look good, but I know IQ is more discussed when dealing with photography.

- I don't mind a little vignetting. I even get that on my A7sii with my ND filter, it's possible to fix in post to a degree but just applying an inverse vignette.

- I'm aware that it will be softer wide open, especially since you're getting one more stop of light, making the lens even more wide-open.

-I'll probably be around f3.5 - f5.6 for most shots.

-I think I'm really going to need focusing to infinity. This is my lock off wide shot during wedding ceremonies, so the camera is usually pretty far from the subject. Not sure if it's "infinity" far though.

Has anyone compared the two adapters? Does anyone use the cheaper Zhongyi Mitakon? Issues to be aware of?

The Nikkor is arriving this weekend and I would love to try it out next week!

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hopkins802 View Post
    - I'm aware that it will be softer wide open, especially since you're getting one more stop of light, making the lens even more wide-open.
    The adapter doesn't make the lens even more wide open. You gain roughly a stop of light because of the optics of the focal reducer. It's concentrating the light down to a smaller sensor, so you gain some brightness, sort of like a magnifying glass. The issue with the cheaper speed boosters is the blue dot problem, which is a flare that can happen when light hits the adapter at a certain angle, although the Lens Turbo II is supposed to have a better coating that mitigates that. I have a chinese speedbooster with the blue dot problem, but it's never been an issue in any controlled setting. You'd have to be in a dark room with one bright light shining right in the lens for that to happen. I have a 35mm F2 AI-S Nikkor and it's probably the most filmic lens I have, and it's sharp at F2. Make sure your Nikkor's are multi-coated. I bought an old Nikkor once from the 60's that had no coating and was so low contrast it looked washed out with any amount of light hitting the lens.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." - W.C. Fields

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    The adapter doesn't make the lens even more wide open. You gain roughly a stop of light because of the optics of the focal reducer. It's concentrating the light down to a smaller sensor, so you gain some brightness, sort of like a magnifying glass. The issue with the cheaper speed boosters is the blue dot problem, which is a flare that can happen when light hits the adapter at a certain angle, although the Lens Turbo II is supposed to have a better coating that mitigates that. I have a chinese speedbooster with the blue dot problem, but it's never been an issue in any controlled setting. You'd have to be in a dark room with one bright light shining right in the lens for that to happen. I have a 35mm F2 AI-S Nikkor and it's probably the most filmic lens I have, and it's sharp at F2. Make sure your Nikkor's are multi-coated. I bought an old Nikkor once from the 60's that had no coating and was so low contrast it looked washed out with any amount of light hitting the lens.
    Got it thanks!

As for telling if it's multicoated. From my research, most Nikon AI lenses were multi-coated, where non-AI lenses were not. I purchased the Nikon Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AI lens. Not sure how to tell if it will be multicoated or not. It arrives this Saturday for testing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-NIKKOR...p2047675.l2557

4. Collapse Details
    This was a helpful website when I was searching for Nikkor lenses--

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." - W.C. Fields

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    This was a helpful website when I was searching for Nikkor lenses--

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm
    Yep, that's where I've been reading about them. There is nothing written on the AI vs AIS but to my understanding that has nothing to do with glass. There is no mention of coating on his page for the 24mm 2.8 AI-s. However, he does say good things about it. He says better things about the Minolta Rokkor 24mm, but I haven't found a focal reducer that I could trust (just chinese ones on ebay).

The focal reducer I ordered for the Nikkor is the Fotasy brand one, which gets good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you have a vintage wide-angle in the 24mm range that you like?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hopkins802 View Post
    Yep, that's where I've been reading about them. There is nothing written on the AI vs AIS but to my understanding that has nothing to do with glass. There is no mention of coating on his page for the 24mm 2.8 AI-s. However, he does say good things about it. He says better things about the Minolta Rokkor 24mm, but I haven't found a focal reducer that I could trust (just chinese ones on ebay).

The focal reducer I ordered for the Nikkor is the Fotasy brand one, which gets good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you have a vintage wide-angle in the 24mm range that you like?
    No, that's the only vintage Nikkor I have. I have a 16mm t2.2 Rokinon Cine for wides which is a great lens. 24mm isn't quite wide enough for tight indoor spaces, but I'm not sure there are any vintage Nikkor's wider than that (cheap ones anyway).