Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Design Media Consultants's Avatar
    Every job needs to be evaluated based on the budget. What are you getting paid? That not only determines the equipment you bring, it also determines how much time you spend, and the quality level expectations. If you are being compensated well, and the quality expectations are high, then you need top quality gear. If you cannot afford it, then rent it. Also you should not purchase your equipment based on one job, but on the future use of the equipment and how it will impact the future of your business. If you will be using the lights on a consistent basis, then borrowing to buy a better kit might be well justified. You will be living with the equipment for many years. Just something to think about.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Good points. However I have realised over the last few corporate interviews I did that i need some lights and my tungstens are not it. I need something cool (heat wise) and easily portable. Including on public transport... (trying to take a car into London and some other cities is jut not going to happen.) Where as a couple of wheeled peli cases and a rucksack does work.

For my budgets the rotolights seem a good balance inexpensive and not "too cheap" even though they are twice the price of the lights I was looking at.

3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Design Media Consultants's Avatar
    [QUOTE=jagraphics;1986690042]Good points. However I have realised over the last few corporate interviews I did that i need some lights and my tungstens are not it. I need something cool (heat wise) and easily portable. Including on public transport...

I agree, cool lighting (LED) is the way to go. The cost of LED has also been coming down. Just have to bite the bullet and buy something that will serve your current and near future needs. Hope you get the kit you need. Wish you the best.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Get an aputure light storm then diffuse however you like.
    OP; would have to agree with the above comment.

Here's a post by Liam Hall who shows how he used this particular light http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...highlight=liam

And here's a post that talks about something you will eventually have to deal with (shooting with window backdrop) http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986689927

I'm a stills shooter trying to transition over to shooting video and on my first assignment, I had to deal with windows. I decided to hire very large LED fixtures thinking I would be OK. The Australian sun in summer is the devil, but thankfully my client liked the blown out background.

The more powerful your lights, the easier it is to deal with widely differing lighting problems. So, for now I will hire until it makes financial sense to buy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123