Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BONLEV View Post
    filming theatre shows with lots of light on stage and the autofocus goes regulary out of focus. So when it's in focus it just starts hunting for a very short time and goes back in focus. Even when there is no action on stage. And sometimes it goes fully out of focus so I have to zoom out and zoom in otherwise it stays out of focus I think. I had this problem with the default settings for speed and sensivity and with these setting at highest. I have firmware 1.83

I have the luck a have a second fixed camera that covers this problem. So I can noramlly use this wide shot when this happens. Is this a normal behaviour with this camcorder?
    I've never seen it hunt with a truly static scene, that seems broken. That said, I almost never use autofocus (or auto-anything)...especially with a well lit scene (more DOF, straightforward manual focusing). That's how I shoot unless it's a true run-and-gun no matter what camera I'm using.

You might try leaving it in manual focus and just pressing the "PUSH AUTO" button if the subject leaves the in-focus area, or use AREA FOCUS.

2. Collapse Details
    I made a short compilation about the issues I had with last theatre show (I muted the audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgqB8m-0Uk
    panasonic DVX200, GH5s and HC-X920
    sony A6000 and FS100
    gopro hero 7 black

ryzen 3700x pc with 32gig ram
    moviestudio 16

3. Collapse Details
    I made a short compilation about the issues I had with last theatre show (I muted the audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgqB8m-0Uk
    My advice remains....don't use auto-focus. I shoot theater scenes like that all the time. With that much light you'll have a decent DOF.

Preferably do these steps before the actual show, maybe during a dress rehearsal or some practice right before the show:

Set camera to manual focus.
    Zoom in tight on a "typical subject"
    Press "PUSH AUTO"
    Verify it did focus appropriately then write down the focal distance for future reference.
    Zoom out to desired wide shot.

With that much light on a typically sized stage performance you may never have to adjust focus manually.....but watch it and do what you need to do!

4. Collapse Details
    thx Larry for your advice. I don't understand what you are saying. You shoot in manual focus and sometimes you push auto? Write down but I'm always in the dark (like you I guess) when filming.
    It's already difficult to find the buttons when standing in the dark for filming.
    sony A6000 and FS100
    gopro hero 7 black

moviestudio 16

5. Collapse Details
    regarding: "I don't understand what you are saying. You shoot in manual focus and sometimes you push auto?"
    Even though you are in manual, the button called "focus assist" overrides manual and gives you a momentary autofocus on the subject. The camera remains in manual mode. The focus assist button is a momentary focus button that does not change your focus mode to auto. As far as seeing it in the dark, maybe a penlight or a clamp-on gooseneck led light for your controls.

6. Collapse Details
    thx Larry for your advice. I don't understand what you are saying. You shoot in manual focus and sometimes you push auto? Write down but I'm always in the dark (like you I guess) when filming.
    It's already difficult to find the buttons when standing in the dark for filming.
    I grab the focus before the show starts while zoomed in and that's when I write down the distance for future reference. From your example, the stage is very well lit. That means you'll have a relatively large DOF and may never have to change the focus throughout the show (especially if you grab focus at full zoom but shoot mostly medium and wide shots). If the show has darker/theatrical lighting then you have less DOF and may have to adjust focus during the event (by adjusting manually, or pressing "PUSH AUTO").

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakle View Post
    regarding: "I don't understand what you are saying. You shoot in manual focus and sometimes you push auto?"
    Even though you are in manual, the button called "focus assist" overrides manual and gives you a momentary autofocus on the subject. The camera remains in manual mode. The focus assist button is a momentary focus button that does not change your focus mode to auto. As far as seeing it in the dark, maybe a penlight or a clamp-on gooseneck led light for your controls.
    For the record....the button described is labeled "PUSH AUTO", not "focus assist".

8. Collapse Details
    Larry and Sneakle,

I have read messages before I did my next theatre this weekend. So switch to manual focus and focus assist and "push auto". this works great! It's easier to see with peaking to see if it's in focus or not. Because I wear glasses it's very difficult to use the viewfinder.

But this theatre show was with 30 actors and the lightning was not bright (the autofocus was better this time, not so much hunting). Mostly I did used autofocus but sometimes there were scenes with only 2-3 persons talking so I had time to switch to manual and push auto.

That was a great tip you gave me here! I also assigned the push auto to another button.

Are you using an external monitor also?
    sony A6000 and FS100
    gopro hero 7 black

moviestudio 16

9. Collapse Details
    Larry and Sneakle,

I have read messages before I did my next theatre this weekend. So switch to manual focus and focus assist and "push auto". this works great! It's easier to see with peaking to see if it's in focus or not. Because I wear glasses it's very difficult to use the viewfinder.

But this theatre show was with 30 actors and the lightning was not bright (the autofocus was better this time, not so much hunting). Mostly I did used autofocus but sometimes there were scenes with only 2-3 persons talking so I had time to switch to manual and push auto.

That was a great tip you gave me here! I also assigned the push auto to another button.

Are you using an external monitor also?
    Good to hear you had better results. Another tip....since the DVX200 is not great in low light, I almost always shoot in HIGH SENS mode to gain an additional f-stop. I very rarely need to add any gain.

Yes......I use a 7" external monitor quite a bit to help with assessing focus and to help shooting comfort since I can often place in a better spot for viewing than the builit-in LCD.
    1215161834.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    Larry, I use auto gain and limited it to 2000 iso. Even with a dark stage fully zoomed in the noise is really good to me. (low noise)
    I had today another theatre and shoot all the time in manual and the push auto worked great. It's easy to see with the peaking color (I use blue)

I saw your picture with the external monitor attached but after the great results with the push auto I don't think I need an external monitor. thx again for your help
    sony A6000 and FS100
    gopro hero 7 black

moviestudio 16

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast