Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Thanks for sharing Jim! That is super helpful.

I really wish the review benchmarked more than the 1080 series. It would be much more helpful to see how it compared to older GPUS...
    Dig through their site (it's sensibly organized). You can find articles comparing the earlier (ie- non-Ti) 10xx series GPUs to earlier ones...I think with similar tests to the ones used in the articles linked above. And they you can extrapolate.

The Puget Sound articles and tests are good marketing for them. I just wish their workstations weren't so expensive...
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    And speaking of Ryzen:

Premiere Pro CC 2017 AMD Ryzen 7 1700X & 1800X Performance

There are a wide variety of tasks we could test in Premiere Pro, but in this article we will specifically be looking at:

Rendering previews (standard and VR projects)
    Exporting to 4K H.264 (standard and VR projects)
    Exporting to 4K DNxHR HQ
    Exporting to 8K H.265
    Performing a Warp Stabilize Analysis
    [big snip]
    Overall, our take on Ryzen for Premiere Pro is that while it presents some interesting opportunities and can be competitive with Intel for many tasks, it doesn't quite earn a place on our Premiere Pro recommended systems. This isn't to say that a Ryzen workstation might not be the right fit for you, but there are a couple of reasons that (right now) it just barely misses the mark for us:
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...09/#Conclusion

Not the final word. But a fairly informed word, I think...
    It's great that Puget got to benchmark the ryzen processors, but I really have different views from them. They seem completely unconcerned by price.

They find that a $400 Ryzen matches the $1000 i7 6900K for rendering and exporting tasks, but AMD falls behind in warp stabilizer. I think that's a very nice result, and would never use it to conclude that Ryzen doesn't earn a place in my recommended systems.

In any case: they don't test how responsive Premiere is while actually editing. I can't buy Ryzen until I'm sure it's just as fast as a $400 intel processor while scrubbing in Premiere, with 4k H.264 footage (in my case, XAVC-S) and some GPU-accelerated effects applied.

3. Collapse Details
    Samuel,

Maybe this will help shed some light on the snappiness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl_ioGy2dds

4. Collapse Details
    ^ Looks nice. Thanks!

(OK now I'm starting to look for excuses NOT to upgrade my workstation, the wallet burn is getting real!!)

5. Collapse Details
    The initial specs from the 1080ti are very impressive. I've got a Zotac 980ti AMP Extreme card and I think it might have to find a new home. Definitely going to wait for Zotac or another company to make one of their fancy special edition cards that have the engine running at a higher frequency than stock. Unfortunately, it looks like my Intel i7-5820k might now be a bottleneck.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    Cool stuff Chuck. I find Puget System's testing reports to be rather interesting, with tests that fit our needs. Here's a link to what they posted last week:
    Great report, Jim. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I hope Chuck doesn't mind shared spaces. So, as long as we're on the hardware talk, here's more info on Intel Optane SSD's which just began to ship in quantities.
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...so-use-as-ram/
    It's all about sharing info, and the more info, the better, right? If it's truly as fast as they claim, that's incredible!
    Though at 375GB for $1520, well, let's wait for the price to come down a little...
    I looked at OWC's SSDs on PCIe card a while back, but never got one.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by groveChuck View Post
    ... It's all about sharing info, and the more info, the better, right? .
    Nah, it's all about the yellow squares underneath our screen names.

Anywho, here's a piece on how Optane drives might be used along the traditional spinning hard drive discs.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/intel-opt...161504596.html

From I recall reading when Intel and Micron announced the technology, some high end camera manufacturers were seriously inquiring about it despite Intel/Micron's assertions that commercial applications would receive a priority. The X-Point performance seems to be for the short and high speed transfers of data rather than for the heavy number crunching server farms. If so, they might be tailor made for the next generation of the high end 8K cameras.

But I might need those with the greater knowledge of hardware to elucidate me on this further.

8. Collapse Details
    AMD's new VEGA graphics cards should be out this May, and it will be interesting to see how they are priced against nVidia's cards.

AMD RX Vega - Release Date, Price, Specs and Rumours

...I know that my Vegas Pro 14 video editor runs significantly faster on AMD GPUs, so I might end up buying a Vega card this summer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12