Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I say again: never, never deinterlace 24p footage. If you're going to go that route, deinterlace your 60i FIRST - to 60p, not 30p -- and then edit the now-60p footage on a 60p timeline with the 24p. Export as 60p.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

2. Collapse Details
    David, back in the day I use to get my 60i footage to look like 24p even though it was still actually stored as 60i (that's right, in the good old miniDV tape days) but I have wondered for a long time, now that mostly everything is 24p, is there a way to get that "60i look" (fast fluid motion like soap opera's use to be) but stored as 24p?

Say I make a film that is mastered in 24p and in there is an insert shot from a "handy cam" POV and I want that "60i" look even though no body these days really shoots 60i… is there a way to do that?

appreciate and answer, I know you know a lot about multi formats.
    Dennis Hingsberg

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by starcentral View Post
    David, back in the day I use to get my 60i footage to look like 24p even though it was still actually stored as 60i (that's right, in the good old miniDV tape days) but I have wondered for a long time, now that mostly everything is 24p, is there a way to get that "60i look" (fast fluid motion like soap opera's use to be) but stored as 24p?
    No. It's all about the number of motion samples per second. If you "store" the footage as 24p, you only have 24 motion samples. If you want it to look "live" like 60i or 60p, you need all 60.

You can "store" 24p within a 60i/60p stream because you can repeat frames, and thus preserve having only 24 motion samples (the same frame shown twice or three times is still only one motion sample, because nothing moves). But there's no way to get 36 additional motion samples from 24 pictures per second.

Hope that makes sense.

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

4. Collapse Details
    thanks for your reply.

yeah that's what I thought.
    Dennis Hingsberg

5. Collapse Details
    No problem.

6. Collapse Details
    I SUPPOSE you could lay 60p out at 40% slo-mo on a 24p timeline, render it as 24p . . . and then speed that up 2.5x in a 60p timeline and get your full-speed 60p back . . . but I don't think it would be worth it. It wouldn't save you any file size, and your sound would be a PITA, so what would the advantage be?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12