Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. Collapse Details
    Mixing 60i and 24p footage in 60i timeline
    #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3
    Default
    I apologize if this question has been answered before, but here goes:

    How does one use 24p footage in a 60i timeline? I'm making skateboarding films with a DVX100b, and I film everything in 60i, but I would like to begin shooting b-roll and non-skating footage in 24p and mix these different frame rates in the same video.

    These videos will appear on YouTube, so what I'm really asking for is the correct export settings to yield 24p footage that retains the filmic look without appearing stroby.

    I will be editing with Adobe Priemere.

    Thank you.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Moderator David Jimerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    27,907
    Default
    Shoot 24p standard, not 24pA. Then capture and edit in your 60i timeline just like you have been with all the other footage. Render/export as 60i.

    The strobiness is part of the frame rate. It's what makes it look like "the movies."

    In order to minimize the strobiness, you have to move the camera slowly. Slow pans, slow zooms, slow tilts. SLOW camera movements.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!



    WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY



    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member Cary Knoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Newark CA, USA
    Posts
    1,494
    Default
    I would only use progressive material for YouTube.

    You could convert everything to 60p by telecining the 24p to 60i and then deinterlacing and frame doubling the 60i material to 60p. I would stay away from converting 60i to 24p unless absolutely necessary because that conversion will always have big issues.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Moderator David Jimerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    27,907
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    I would only use progressive material for YouTube.

    You could convert everything to 60p by telecining the 24p to 60i and then deinterlacing and frame doubling the 60i material to 60p. I would stay away from converting 60i to 24p unless absolutely necessary because that conversion will always have big issues.
    No, that would make a giant mess of the footage, costing unnecessary resolution and exacerbating the "strobing" problems.

    The 24p material is already "telecined" when it's recorded to tape by the DVX100 -- it's on tape as 24p, with pulldown, in a 60i stream. To edit it as 60i, you don't have to do anything further; you just drop the footage, as captured, into a 60i timeline. Don't remove pulldown; just leave the footage exactly as it is on tape.

    You never, ever want to "deinterlace" 24p in a 60i stream. You'll end up with an equivalent of 30p, and 24p converts very poorly to 30p. You'll get ghosting and worse strobing.

    You do raise a good point, in that YouTube will convert 60i DV to 30p for display, so it will be best to deliver as either all 24p in DV/SD, or to deliver as 60p. (I missed that he was planning to deliver to YouTube.)

    Converting 60i to 24p is MUCH better than converting 24p to 30p. You will see a bit of a loss in vertical resolution, but other than that, 60i converts to 24p quite well. You simply have to make sure you disable any frame- or field-blending -- you want to making 24p frames out of single fields, not blended fields.

    If you plan to deliver as 60p, you're talking about upconverting to HD -- in which case, you want to be editing on a 60p timeline from the start. I would strongly suggest it be a 720/60p timeline, then rendering out to 720/60p.

    In THAT case, you DO want to shoot 24pA, you DO want to remove pulldown -- NOT DEINTERLACE, but remove pulldown -- and edit the footage as true 24p on that 60p timeline. You can also edit the 60i footage on that timeline. Again, disable any frame- or field-blending.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!



    WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY



    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member Cary Knoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Newark CA, USA
    Posts
    1,494
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    The 24p material is already "telecined" when it's recorded to tape by the DVX100 -- it's on tape as 24p, with pulldown, in a 60i stream. To edit it as 60i, you don't have to do anything further; you just drop the footage, as captured, into a 60i timeline. Don't remove pulldown; just leave the footage exactly as it is on tape.
    Correct, if it is already telecined then leave it alone. I missed this was in the DVX100 section.


    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    You do raise a good point, in that YouTube will convert 60i DV to 30p for display, so it will be best to deliver as either all 24p in DV/SD, or to deliver as 60p. (I missed that he was planning to deliver to YouTube.)
    ...
    If you plan to deliver as 60p, you're talking about upconverting to HD -- in which case, you want to be editing on a 60p timeline from the start. I would strongly suggest it be a 720/60p timeline, then rendering out to 720/60p.
    I prefer to deliver in 60p UHD or 4K so you can get the highest possible bitrate from YouTube


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3
    Default
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't exporting in 720p60p or UHD make the footage look worse, since that is not the DVX's picture quality or frame rate?


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Moderator David Jimerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    27,907
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyBoy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't exporting in 720p60p or UHD make the footage look worse, since that is not the DVX's picture quality or frame rate?
    It's the only way to get it to 60p.

    Otherwise, it'll be converted to 30p upon upload, destroying both your 60i "live" look and your 24p.

    DV upconverts reasonably well to 720p. It's less than twice the vertical resolution.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!



    WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY



    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3
    Default
    So, let's say I just stick to 60i. What are the ideal export settings for YouTube? Also, these may end up on Vimeo as well.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Moderator David Jimerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    27,907
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!



    WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY



    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member Cary Knoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Newark CA, USA
    Posts
    1,494
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyBoy View Post
    So, let's say I just stick to 60i. What are the ideal export settings for YouTube? Also, these may end up on Vimeo as well.
    If you do not want to deinterlace there is no good quality solution!

    I would always frame double and deinterlace (ideally with Yadif or better QTGMC).


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •