1. Collapse Details
    sony a6500 - need first 2 lenses for gimbal and portraits
    EDITED**

So i have decided to go ahead and pull the plug on the a6500 and sell my gh3 and gh4.

Question 1: I always thought the 18-105 lens would be the best all around. i want the shallow depth of field so anyone have 2 prime recomendations, 1 for interviews 1 for gimbal work? Im thinking the $200 50mm for interviews and no idea whats good for vlogging around 20-30mm?

So question 2: Overheating? filming 4k interviews indoors, is overheating still a big issue? I can do 20 min sections followed by 1 minute breaks and back to 20 minute interviews but could be doing this for 4 hours straight. Would i be okay in an indoor 70 degree room? I would need a battery pack so i assume that would help battery life and keeping inside the camera cooler?

Question 3: WHERE TO BUY? I normally buy used off ebay but since its a newer camera i was thinking going to best buy and doing the monthly plan so I can get the camera sooner rather than later. Is this going to be just as cheap as anywhere else? Is there a package deal id be better off with or just go for the body only? I believe $1400 is the price there, anywhere else doing better?

Thanks guys, big transition from panasonic to something new which ive been debating since 2004, yes Ive had pro panasonic cameras only since 2004 and i'm ready to change. Just need a little reassurance. Thanks!
    Last edited by PegLeg Media; 02-24-2017 at 07:55 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    The DOF difference between m4/3rds and APS-C is really not that noticeable - especially if you're talking about native lenses, where Panasonic might even have the edge thanks to their f/2.8 zooms. Most of the APS-C E-mount lenses are F/3.5-5.6, or f/4.

For interviews, I generally find 50mm to be just a little too wide on APS-C/s35. I usually use a 70-200 for interviews but if I had to choose a single prime to replace it I would get an 85mm. The thing is, with a 50mm if you want to get tighter you have to be quite close to the point that you get distortion on the face, whereas with an 85 if you want a wider shot you simply back up and you retain a nice perspective. And you're definitely right that 25mm is too tight on a gimbal - maybe have a look at the 16m f/2.8? I haven't used it personally so can't offer advice on the quality, but on paper it certainly looks like an ideal match for the a6500 on a small gimbal.
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 | Shogun Inferno | Sony A7s
    Adobe CC 2015

3. Collapse Details
    Updated post, please read first post.
    Last edited by PegLeg Media; 02-23-2017 at 03:16 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Bump with new info

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PegLeg Media View Post
    EDITED**

So i have decided to go ahead and pull the plug on the a6500 and sell my gh3 and gh4.

Question 1: I always thought the 18-105 lens would be the best all around. i want the shallow depth of field so anyone have 2 prime recomendations, 1 for interviews 1 for gimbal work? Im thinking the $200 50mm for interviews and no idea whats good for vlogging around 20-30mm?

So question 2: Overheating? filming 4k interviews indoors, is overheating still a big issue? I can do 20 min sections followed by 1 minute breaks and back to 20 minute interviews but could be doing this for 4 hours straight. Would i be okay in an indoor 70 degree room? I would need a battery pack so i assume that would help battery life and keeping inside the camera cooler?

Question 3: WHERE TO BUY? I normally buy used off ebay but since its a newer camera i was thinking going to best buy and doing the monthly plan so I can get the camera sooner rather than later. Is this going to be just as cheap as anywhere else? Is there a package deal id be better off with or just go for the body only? I believe $1400 is the price there, anywhere else doing better?

Thanks guys, big transition from panasonic to something new which ive been debating since 2004, yes Ive had pro panasonic cameras only since 2004 and i'm ready to change. Just need a little reassurance. Thanks!
    For interviews I do use a 50mm, the Sigma ART 1.4, just my preference and thats a very personal subject so you're better trying some focal lengths on the sensor before you buy maybe. For gimbal work I almost always have my Zeiss Batis 18mm F/2.8 lens on my A6500 whether its on my MOVI or Zhiyun Crane. The other questions I can't help sorry.

6. Collapse Details
    Adorama and B&H have the body for $1,300. Every now and than you can find an open box one on eBay, I'm not sure if it would come with a usable warranty though. Even buying used, I'm not sure they run much below $1,200.

7. Collapse Details
    I have one for sale. bought it new, used mostly for video. comes with grip, two batteries, box, manuals, charger and extra eyecup. $1275 shipped to your door. still under warranty.

8. Collapse Details
    I have a Zeiss 24mm f1.8 for most of my gimbal work with the a6300. I also have a 35mm f1.8 for interviews but I'm eventually going to look at the Zeiss 55mm f1.8. Remember since it's a crop sensor the actual focal lengths for these lenses are 35mm, 52mm, and 80mm.

The Zeiss 24 is probably my favorite that I've used with it so far and my Zhiyun Crane. Still has a great shallow DOF and it's a nice "POV" lens.
    Jerrod Cordell
    CFL Ad Group

https://vimeo.com/angryleprechaun