Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nobody wants it to look like it was made in the 1960s, but it would be nice if it fit the timeline they themselves made such a big deal about being in.

But that really is less troubling than the storyline, for me. It (war with the Klingons) just strikes me as lazy and uninspired.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    But that really is less troubling than the storyline, for me. It (war with the Klingons) just strikes me as lazy and uninspired.
    ...What? You don't want to watch 17 episodes of season one that will all be about war with the Klingons? I can't wait to watch season 2 which will be 17 episodes all about war with the Romulans...

3. Collapse Details
    Well, the third episode felt more like a genuine Star Trek episode, but was worse television. Badly written, badly directed and acted, with annoying, unlikable characters and some questionable ideas (biological warp drives?). Not a promising start. Yeah, people say TNG got off to a rocky start, and while I never cottoned to the show, at least the ensemble worked and had chemistry together. These characters have none, which makes its long term prospects bad.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

4. Collapse Details
    They kept saying that Burnham's mutiny caused the war. But her mutiny failed within seconds and they never did what she wanted to do.

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

5. Collapse Details
    Prelude to Axanar

This fan film makes the Klingon war interesting. And now they've been sued by CBS over their kickstarter funded feature film!

Axanar Productions and

Kickstarter Axanar Project
    Buy a Tripod, Use the Tripod.

6. Collapse Details
    There's a whole mountain of issues around Axanar.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
    I refuse to go through the trouble of paying for a maybe/ soon-to-be-cancled show. Kind of like Marvel's Inhumans. However, before I told Dish to sod off, I was really enjoying The Orville. Branon Braga was part of the Trek Universe, and the spirit of Roddenberry shines through.

8. Collapse Details
    I actually have CBS All Access because most of the shows my wife watches are on CBS, and we cut the cable.

The Orville does hew much closer to what Trek is supposed to be than Discovery does.

9. Collapse Details
    I failed to see the point of The Orville and intended to ditch it. This last episode was wacky enough to get me to stick around for a while.

10. Collapse Details
    Discovery will be a waste. There are at least 50 things they could have done differently if they wanted the program to be a success. The original pilot for star trek was the Cage. That would have predated the original series somewhere along the target of 10 years prior to the original Star Trek that Discovery is supposed to be based on. I recall a book or two regarding the pre-JT Kirk days that talked about the Enterprise, and also I recall Kirk's father was a security officer on a ship.

Going back to a look similar what the Enterprise looked like in during The Cage episode could have been interesting. As for the politically correct tie-in with our current times, if they had went with a program featuring Pike, Spock, and Number 1 (Majel Barrett in the pilot), there would have been a tie-in that old fans would have recognized. The Klingon thing does not bother me nearly as much as Klingon ships that look like petrified dragons. They are supposed to be spaceships. In the the old series Spock is supposed to be older than Kirk. How do they account for this in Discovery?

As for any fear of having the old style enterprise show, or other ships with that design, there was a couple of episodes in Enterprise featuring the Defiant from the Tholian Web episode, and the Mirror-Mirror version of the Empire. That ship translated well as did the old style uniforms. I believe the episode Enterprise was called "In a Mirror Darkly".

Well, it looks like we will get teleporting spores, a poorly designed ship, Klingons flying around in mausoleum ships, and wildebeasts who eat the teleportation spores...Think of the possibilities, and of course the diversity. The one thing I did find interesting to make the Klingons see nastier than the old Klingons was the part where they talked about eating the deceased captain of the Starship Shenzhou.

Perhaps we will see Spock wake up and it was all an experimental hallucination...CBS has done it before. We should be so lucky. CBS is going to goof this all up, and people will stop watching all of it. It makes everything we grew up with worthless in many ways. It is kind of like redesigning Darth Vader to look like the robot on Lost in Space.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast