Thread: GH5 power xoom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH5 power xoom
    I am considering the GH5 as a video camera. The thing that would really help the GH5 is a power zoom lens. Has anyone seen one or an adapted lens?

2. Collapse Details
    Plenty of people have adapted ENG zooms to MFT. All it takes is an external battery source to power the zoom function. But then everything else is manual.

There are a couple of lenses made for S35 that could be adapted. But I haven't read anything about how well they can be adapted for power, etc. This for example: http://eriknaso.com/2016/09/09/sony-...om-capability/

From Canon - http://nofilmschool.com/2016/04/cano...udget-friendly

Here is an interesting idea from Canon https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...-adapter-pz-e1
    Last edited by Paul F; 02-09-2017 at 02:21 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    There are two power zoom lenses in the Lumix lineup, a 14-42 and a 45-175. They're not going to come within a country mile of operating like a professional ENG lens, of course, but at least there's something.

4. Collapse Details
    14-140 power zoom ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    There are two power zoom lenses in the Lumix lineup, a 14-42 and a 45-175. They're not going to come within a country mile of operating like a professional ENG lens, of course, but at least there's something.
    I thought I saw one at NAB few years ago...

5. Collapse Details
    Wow, lots of choice. The nicer lenses are out of reach for me.

Thanks everyone!

6. Collapse Details
    I ordered a Panasonic 45-175 zoom and immediately hated it. It felt like toy. Sent it right back. We need a professional option.

7. Collapse Details
    I have some 1/2" Canon & Fuji video lenses. They can probably be adapted. Anybody know how a 1/2" lens would work on a GH5? I know a power supply is available.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Braindead@70 View Post
    I have some 1/2" Canon & Fuji video lenses. They can probably be adapted. Anybody know how a 1/2" lens would work on a GH5? I know a power supply is available.
    A 1/2" lens wouldn't cover the whole Micro 4/3 sensor. There are some B4 mount ENG lenses designed for 2/3" sensors that have a built in 2x extender. The 2x extender increases the image circle, so that the lens now covers the whole 4/3" sensor. However, it also doubles the effective focal length and costs 2 stops of light transmission (so an F/2.0 lens becomes F/4.0). Like most teleconverters, this also reduces the image quality somewhat.

Keep in mind also that these B4 mount lenses were designed for broadcast cameras, so they don't need to resolve nearly as much resolution as many of the native Micro 4/3 lenses (which are designed for photography). There are older SD lenses that are relatively inexpensive, but the HD lenses are still in widespread use for television so they can be kind of pricey. And even HD broadcast lenses are only designed to resolve 2 megapixels (1000+ lines), although some are capable of resolving more detail than that. 4K broadcast lenses (which can resolve 8 MP or 2000+ lines) are now becoming more available, but there still aren't as many models as HD lenses yet, and they tend to be pretty expensive.

Keep in mind also that these broadcast lenses were designed for 3-chip cameras and using them on a single chip camera (like the GH5) without an optical correction adapter can also lead to additional CA and other reductions in visual quality. Even ignoring the visual quality issues, you still need an external power source (for the servo zoom mechanism).

There are definitely a lot of people that have experimented with these types of broadcast lenses, but in my opinion they are not a great option.

I'd love to see Panasonic release a power zoom variant of say their 14-140mm lens. Or even the new 12-60mm. Sony has a few more professional E-mount power zoom lenses. I wish Panasonic offered something similar.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by davedv View Post
    A 1/2" lens wouldn't cover the whole Micro 4/3 sensor. There are some B4 mount ENG lenses designed for 2/3" sensors that have a built in 2x extender. The 2x extender increases the image circle, so that the lens now covers the whole 4/3" sensor. However, it also doubles the effective focal length and costs 2 stops of light transmission (so an F/2.0 lens becomes F/4.0). Like most teleconverters, this also reduces the image quality somewhat.

Keep in mind also that these B4 mount lenses were designed for broadcast cameras, so they don't need to resolve nearly as much resolution as many of the native Micro 4/3 lenses (which are designed for photography). There are older SD lenses that are relatively inexpensive, but the HD lenses are still in widespread use for television so they can be kind of pricey. And even HD broadcast lenses are only designed to resolve 2 megapixels (1000+ lines), although some are capable of resolving more detail than that. 4K broadcast lenses (which can resolve 8 MP or 2000+ lines) are now becoming more available, but there still aren't as many models as HD lenses yet, and they tend to be pretty expensive.

Keep in mind also that these broadcast lenses were designed for 3-chip cameras and using them on a single chip camera (like the GH5) without an optical correction adapter can also lead to additional CA and other reductions in visual quality. Even ignoring the visual quality issues, you still need an external power source (for the servo zoom mechanism).

There are definitely a lot of people that have experimented with these types of broadcast lenses, but in my opinion they are not a great option.

I'd love to see Panasonic release a power zoom variant of say their 14-140mm lens. Or even the new 12-60mm. Sony has a few more professional E-mount power zoom lenses. I wish Panasonic offered something similar.
    Perfect answer! I guess I will go in a different direction or practice my manual zoom.

Thanks

10. Collapse Details
    I have an Olympus zoom (12-50mm f3.5 to f6.3) with power zoom that works fine with all my Panasonic bodies. GH4, G85, G7, and GX7. The Zoom ring has 3 positions: All the way back (towards camera operator) it is a manual zoom ring, forward to the "mid" position it is a "power zoom" with turning the ring one way zooms in and the other zooms out, press the macro button to unlock and push the ring all the way forward shifts the lens into macro mode which can get you down to half life size.

The following link is to a "showcase" thread on this lens where you can see a wide variety of images done with it:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympu...-6-3-ez.24326/

And this link is to an affordable "tryout" price on ebay. New it's $499, I paid $399 for mine used a few years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-M-Zu...oAAOSwA3dYRPiP

With the GH3, GH4, and GH5 it will be weather sealed. With the GH5 you will have In Body Image Stabilization (5 axis IBIS), this lens is very lightweight and very compact. Using the power zoom while "filming" I do notice a bit of very light flickering (this is not a constant aperture lens) but it is so slight it doesn't bother me. The vendor above does have a 14 day money back guarantee so I'd feel pretty safe going for this at $129.99.

I figure it is "grey market" merchandise.

If you still have a GH3 you can use it on that while you wait out the GH5, however the EVF on the GH5 is going to be way better than the one on the GH3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast