Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Panasonic and other Japanese companies seem to be pretty open to system overlaps these days. Canon mount on EVA1? Unthinkable 10 years ago!!!!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny16 View Post
    The question of adapting a “dumb” E Mount, or even a active E Mount (not too likely) would require a license from Sony, as it is their Patented Mount?

As for the two Fujinon zooms, MTF Services is making a MFT Mount mod for them, so perhaps you can have the Canon EF Mount conversion done as well? Just a thought.
    Cheers.
    Sadly Denny this has proved not to be easy thing to achieve. Both Fujinon and Duclos have stated this. That 44mm flange back distance of the EF mount would mean a very expensive new optical rear end to be designed for these lenses. Matt Duclos said:

" “In our efforts to adapt the Fujinon MK line to Canon EF mount, we overcame several hurdles, but simply couldn’t fit the optics into a new housing economically. In order to accommodate a Canon EF mount, we would have had to redesign and manufacture about 20-30% of the lens itself which would have put the final product into a much higher price bracket than we were comfortable with.”

More info on these links:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/07/1...-new-mk-zooms/

https://www.cinema5d.com/fujinon-mk-...-and-fz-mount/

Chris Young

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    The VariCam 35 and VariCam Pure use the same mount system as the VariCam LT. The difference is that the VariCam LT is the only one with the electrical interface and control for EF lenses. But you could absolutely use a VariCam 35 with an EF lens mount and then use manual lenses such as your Canon CN-E Primes.

Also, tightening the set screws on the VariCam mounts really is the Panasonic engineers using both belt and suspenders. It really isn't necessary and the mount stays in place just fine. If I was sending the camera up on a helicopter rig then I'd tighten the set screws, otherwise it makes no difference. Without bothering with the set screws, switching the lens mounts is super-fast, taking just a few seconds to swap.
    Very interesting, Mitch. Good to know. I can't believe my rep never told me that(maybe they didn't know). Kinda mad, now...

Even with no data being passed from the primes to the body, I wouldn't be in any different position than right now when I use them on my F55 with the Optitek(oddly enough, my still lenses show up just fine, but my primes do not, not that it's a deal breaker).

4. Collapse Details
    Also, tightening the set screws on the VariCam mounts really is the Panasonic engineers using both belt and suspenders. It really isn't necessary and the mount stays in place just fine. If I was sending the camera up on a helicopter rig then I'd tighten the set screws, otherwise it makes no difference. Without bothering with the set screws, switching the lens mounts is super-fast, taking just a few seconds to swap.
    Id wondered that in the past and had thought I could probably bag those set screws, the sleeve tightens down enough.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    Id wondered that in the past and had thought I could probably bag those set screws, the sleeve tightens down enough.
    Every other camera just used a sleeve nut. So just use the sleeve nut on the LT and don't bother with the set screws. If you're going to leave the mount in place for a long time then go ahead and use them, but if you're a swap back & forth kind of shooter then don't bother.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic Media Entertainment Corporation

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    In theory: maybe.
    In reality: no way.

Instead of the EF or PL mount adapter, the VariCam LT's neutral mount is quite shallow. It may be close enough to allow an adapter to Sony's E mount. Just barely.

BUT...
    An EF - to - LT Neutral Mount Speed Booster should be pretty straightforward - assuming there's not too much mechanical and optical "stuff" in front of the sensor - , and would add a path to high quality low cost f/2 zooms and f/1 primes for your camera. Huge numbers of Speed Boosters are sold to Sony FS7/FS5 users for this exact purpose. You've already got the electronics worked out between the LT and the EF mount. So . . . . .???

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc1959 View Post
    An EF - to - LT Neutral Mount Speed Booster should be pretty straightforward - assuming there's not too much mechanical and optical "stuff" in front of the sensor - , and would add a path to high quality low cost f/2 zooms and f/1 primes for your camera. Huge numbers of Speed Boosters are sold to Sony FS7/FS5 users for this exact purpose. You've already got the electronics worked out between the LT and the EF mount. So . . . . .???
    Brian is it possible to make .53x SB cover apsc just by increasing the diameter of the BMPCC (SB) elements?
    Last edited by optitek; 03-14-2018 at 10:16 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by optitek View Post
    Brian is it possible to make .53x SB cover apsc just by increasing the diameter of the BMPCC (SB) elements?
    I assume you mean trying to modify the existing 0.58x BMPCC Speed Booster. The issue is there is just not enough room. As you can see from the layout there are already two places with edge contact. Trying to double the image circle by enlarging elements is impossible because you would wind up with negative edge thicknesses. The other issue is that the 0.58x Speed Booster is designed to work well over a 14.5mm image circle, and if you try to increase much beyond that the aberrations quickly get very large.

Designing ultra-low magnification (i.e. 0.5x - 0.6x) Speed Boosters for m43 and APS-C is possible, for only for very special cases such as lenses with unusually large working distances.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Collapse Details
    I see what you mean- thank you for the explanation this is very useful.

10. Collapse Details
    Still, a 0,7x Speedbooster would be a wonderful option for us.
    Thank you Brian and Jacek.
    If you need any assistance from an EVA1 owner, just contact me.
    I'm happy to get that running!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234