Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    JVC LS300 and covering the sensor
    Hello there, I'm new to the forum and the new owner of a JVC LS300. I see there isn't much traffic here, but I come from a 2/3" ENG background and this large sensor shooting is new to me so I'll try some questions and see what happens.

I'm starting at scratch on lenses so I'm deciding between using the M43 mount or a speedbooster adapter and go with F mount. I know the JVC mount is M43, but the sensor is more APS-C. A Rokinon T1.5 cine lens came with the camera that seems to cover the APS-C sized sensor, where a true M43 lens has some vignetting that can be adjusted in the camera's scan mapping mode to fit. I was going to go with FF to cover the sensor, and that brings me to my first question -

1. If a lens covers the APS-C sized sensor, is there any advantage to "covering it more" with the FF lenses? or is just lens quality at that point? I don't know if I should go with an adapter and FF or the M43 mount lenses that can cover the APS-C sized sensor.

2. Any suggestions on low-to-medium priced shoulder rigs for this size camera would be appreciated. Again I shot shoulder mount ENG for a long time, which led me to use that HM700 cam that could be so cool with a bigger sensor, but I finally had to move past 1/3 chips.

Thanks for any thoughts, after shooting 1/3" and 2/3" ultra deep field forever, this little camera's image looks pretty cool to me.

2. Collapse Details
    The only advantage of using a full-frame lens is that you would be mostly using the center of the lens (which is the sharpest portion) to cover the entire Super 35mm sensor resulting in better image quality. That's at least the theory.

M43 lenses aren't supposed to cover the entire sensor. However, the image circle across lenses may differ resulting in various degrees of vignetting.

It's been a long time, but IIRC, when I used the camera with the Panasonic 15mm lens, I used more of the sensor than recommended and thought the vignetting wasn't too bad.

3. Collapse Details
    That makes sense, more of the center spot of the circle would be in involved even if both covered the sensor.

As far as M43 mount lenses, I know most don't cover the super35 sensor but it's my understading the some 'cine' lenses are made to cover the entire APS or S35 but just have an M43 mount. My thinking was using those would be better than using standard m43 and vignetting, but if a FF makes use of more of the sweet spot of the circle that might be the way to go.

4. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't choose FF lenses solely because more of the sweet spot will be used. Honestly, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

Personally, if I didn't have any lenses at all, I would invest in full-frame EF glass because I like to use all kinds of cameras and they would be the best investment for me.

If I were interested in only using the LS300 and only manual cine lenses, I would definitely choose the Veydras (if I knew they covered the entire sensor).

You have lots of options out there and it's one of those questions that will ultimately be answered by you as you know what you like best, your shooting style, etc.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks much for the input NorBro, and I meant to say the choice was between M43 and "EF" lenses as well, still getting good with the terms.
    While I used nice broadcast 2/3" servo lenses on expensive ENG cameras for years, we never changed them and I don't have the practical experience on changing or using manual lenses so I've been in sort of a google crash course last few weeks and signed up here as well.

I understand what you're saying about using the EF lenses in the future that's why I'm leaning toward the metabones adapter and EF, but have gotten some nice early images from the Rokinon cine. I know I'm very late to the party and the JVC doens't have a stellar rep, but after shooting small chips forever not having to invent the bokeh DoF thing is pretty cool but coming to realize how much I relied on servo zoom for even small moves, and shooting action like sports is a whole other world.

6. Collapse Details
    If you invest in the Rokinon EF cine lenses, you can at least save some money on the adapter

7. Collapse Details
    Not sure what you mean, I'd need the adapter for the Rokinon EF lenses on the MFT mount, is there a bundle that includes the adapter or something like that?

8. Collapse Details
    I'm saying that I would use a $20 one from Amazon if I used those manual Rokinon cine lenses. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-AMEF-T...ords=EF+to+MFT

Rather than a $400-$700 Metabones Smart Adapter or Speed Booster. Metabones is the best, but I personally would only need one for electronic lenses.

9. Collapse Details
    Okay thanks, like I said I'm really learning this stuff. I'm not set on the Rokinon lenses, it came with the camera and I just discovered about covering the sensor and I don't know how many MFT mount lenses would cover the sensor.

I'm not set on anything or tied into a cost, I want to make an informed decision and I just got the camera and can still return the rokinon.

It looks like some Veydra MFT mounts do cover a s35 sensor, I'm not sure if the electronics is compatible but if it was and you were setting up with new lenses, would you go with Veydra MFT mount that covers the sensor or EF with a good adapter?

That was the basis of my question, I think we got sidetracked on Rokinon, but if both lenses cover the sensor would the MFT mount produce as good of an image as the EF/speedbooster with similar quality glass?

10. Collapse Details
    Yes, both could/would produce great images. It's all about the glass. Any lens you adapt to the camera will produce great images if the lens is a quality lens. It can be EF, Nikon, MFT, PL, etc. The mount doesn't matter.

Choosing a mount is a personal decision based on your career goals in life. However, if you'd always like to use the entire sensor then the MFT choices will be limited.

I myself would not go with the Veydras because I couldn't use them on other certain cameras. (P.S. There are no electronics in Veydras...all manual.)

I would instead choose an EF lens and an adapter because I could use the EF glass with other cameras (Canon - Sony via Metabones - Blackmagic - RED, etc). If you decide to check out EF lenses, check out the Sigma 18-35mm. It would be a great combo via an adapter with your LS300.

But like I mentioned (career goals)...if you're an operator that likes manual lenses with smooth cine rings, your options change.

The best advice I can provide you is to rent as much as you can and see what works best for you.
    Last edited by NorBro; 02-06-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast