Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    What's a "regular" camcorder?
    It's a camcorder that eats a lot of fiber.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Richardson View Post
    Why does it matter whether your parents -- or any other specific persons -- are able to discern the difference or not?
    I think it's just an example. Lots of "regular people" seem not to see the difference or care about it.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Richardson View Post
    Why does it matter whether your parents -- or any other specific persons -- are able to discern the difference or not?
    It matters because some people get hung up on pictorial perfection, rather than whether they are communicating with their intended audience or not.

4. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    I think it's just an example. Lots of "regular people" seem not to see the difference or care about it.
    Which is my point. LOTS of people don't seem to see the difference or care about it. It doesn't matter whether the parents or anyone else can see the difference. What matters is whether or not they enjoy the story you are telling. They may not see the difference between a fresnel and an LED panel. They may not hear the difference between certain microphones. What does any of that matter? Do they like your film or don't they?

If they notice things like depth-of-focus, camera movement, lighting, etc. then you've taken them out of the narrative.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Quote Originally Posted by rsbush View Post
    It matters because some people get hung up on pictorial perfection, rather than whether they are communicating with their intended audience or not.
    Quite true.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

6. Collapse Details
    My clients can tell the difference.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Of course they notice. They just don't know that they notice.

Have you ever seen a laser pointer on a screen? You probably have. Cat toys if nothing else. Lasers exhibit a certain interference pattern called a speckle pattern. It can be used in interferometry to detect minute surface distortions. It looks sort of like noise on the light. One really cool thing is that it's tied to your eyes, not the light source. So if you move your head around, the speckle pattern moves with you. How it moves can actually tell if you're near or far sighted. And you've probably never noticed it before, and will never notice it again when you see someone using a laser pointer. But if it weren't there, it wouldn't look quite like a laser. Nature is full of subtle details like that, things you can't identify but need to see.

Similarly, it doesn't matter if they can explicitly define the differences, or even tell in a given scene. Unless you're hiring your parents to be your cinematographers, they only need to be aware of the final product. And really, under sub-par lighting conditions or too perfect of a scene there might not be a difference. There are specific examples you can use to show it, but not many. So don't bother.

8. Collapse Details
    Seeing is not noticing. Noticing implies awareness.

The takeaway here isn't that image makers don't need to have a hyper-awareness, but rather, they should hold the point of diminishing returns in mind.
    Last edited by rsbush; 05-12-2017 at 06:25 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    As I get older ( I am 75 now ) I find the slower frame rates more and more annoying to my eyes. The judder seems more pronounced in backgrounds or pans. Not sure if it is that people are more careless in shooting or my eyes but I now definitely prefer 60P to anything else. As to following the narrative if my eyes hurt you've lost me !!!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
    As I get older ( I am 75 now ) I find the slower frame rates more and more annoying to my eyes. The judder seems more pronounced in backgrounds or pans. Not sure if it is that people are more careless in shooting or my eyes but I now definitely prefer 60P to anything else. As to following the narrative if my eyes hurt you've lost me !!!
    I would say that it's entirely possible that it's carelessness with pan speeds, nowadays, especially if you're talking about something that's not a major production.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast