Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    my parents dont see the difference between dslr video and camcorder video
    Hi,
    i showed footage of out of focus dslr video and camcorder to my parents and they dont seem to see the differences with a regular camcorder. For them, its about the same.

And the difference between 24p and 30p is even more difficult to see.

Is it a question of getting used to dslr and learn to appreciate the quality just like people who acquire the taste of oysters ? (after a certain time they like it)

2. Collapse Details
    Non-filmmakers rarely notice the things that might drive many of us a little crazy.

i.e. blown-highlights, noisy shadows, bad color matching, focus ahead or behind the subject, breaking the 180 rule, etc...

3. Collapse Details
    That's why America's Funniest Home Videos has been running for 26 years.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Non-filmmakers rarely notice the things that might drive many of us a little crazy.
    THIS

A few years back, I almost left out of a video three short clips that were strongly overexposed. In the end, I corrected them as I could, and left them there, just because the girl in them was a friend and I didn't want to leave her out of the video. Someone made a gif set of those three shots and they went viral: millions of shares, vs 100k views for my video... most of them from people looking for the source of the gif set. People loved the bits I almost left out because they weren't good enough for me, and didn't care much for everything else I had made

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by deleuze3 View Post
    ... dont seem to see the differences with a regular camcorder. For them, its about the same.
    Disgraceful. Such people probably don't even see the point of 4K.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    A brilliant bit of irony coming from a forum named after the DVX100.
    When used correctly, I've seen quite a bit of gems pumped out of a camcorder. Plenty of television programming that are in still in circulation today too.

Making movies, and the internet a happier place.
    Twitter: @theRombus
    Click Here to view my Techcitement articles

Sony | Panasonic | Canon
    Vintage lens fanatic | More accessories than I care to list anymore

7. Collapse Details
    Did you not ever buy a new set of speakers for your stereo system, and your girlfriend did not notice the difference, though you saved up for the upgrade for years? Same thing basically!

8. Collapse Details
    Upgrades are incremental. A consumer may not notice quality the difference between a DSLR and a camcorder, but if you compare the camcorder footage to footage from a 100 million dollar movie, they'll most likely notice the difference in quality. The idea is to continually seek to improve your quality, typically in incremental steps, such that when it all comes together, your quality improvement of now (or the future) vs the past is more noticeable.

With that said, not all DSLRs have better image quality than all camcorders. And "out of focus" by which I assume you mean shallow depth of field is a look, and not necessarily a better look for everything, such that the deeper depth of field of a camcorder is a better look for some types of shots.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by deleuze3 View Post
    And the difference between 24p and 30p is even more difficult to see.
    Even I can't tell 24p from 30p. Do you mean 24p and 30i? (Or is it called 60i?) Anyway, the difference between old-school video, which was 60 interlaced fields per second, and 24 fps film is obvious. The difference between progressive frame rates that are just a few frames-per-second apart is of course hard to see.

Anyway, I would like to offer some counterexamples:

Most laymen can identify that soap operas look different. They just can't pinpoint why. Most people dislike it though.

In film school, I shot a short on 16mm and showed it to my friends, and they remarked on how nice the university looked. Some days or weeks later, we saw a commercial for the university on TV, shot on video, and they remarked how cheap it looked.

I went on a trip to Spain and shot still pictures with an old SLR, a 50mm prime, and no flash, onto 35mm film. Someone else on the trip remarked how much more natural my photos looked than the typical snapshots (mainly because of the sharp lens and natural light, I think).

A few years later, with the same set-up, I snapped pics while a guest at a friend's wedding. After I posted them on Facebook, I got emotional compliments from a few friends, only one of which was a professional videographer, and the couple themselves told me that they wish they had just hired me.

A couple of months ago a friend on Facebook posted, "How do you get rid of the 'soap opera effect' on new TVs . . . ?"

These were the replies:

"Oh, i can't stand that!" -- friend 1
    "I know! Sometimes I prefer to watch tv on our smaller television than on the big one for that exact reason!" -- friend 2
    Advice on how to fix it -- friend 3
    Advice on how to fix it -- friend 4
    Advice on how to fix it -- friend 5
    "Thanks all . . . Will have to play with it to try to find those settings. We finally upgraded our tv, but I like my oldie but goodie small TV better!" -- original poster
    "I hate the new tv technology. We had to buy a new one but I really just wanted our old one back and they don't sell them anymore :-(" -- friend 6

A great deal of footage these days also is horribly graded, including Hollywood movies and network TV. Despite being shot on multithousand-dollar cameras, it has the same character as old-school video, the only differences being shallow focus and 24 fps. The skin is bright orange. The mids are low contrast. The highlights, though not clipping instantly, still clip way too fast.
    Last edited by combatentropy; 02-06-2017 at 09:33 PM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Maybe the cameras used aren't the issue.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast