Thread: Ask A Zoom Rep

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ask A Zoom Rep
    Lightbulb
    Hello All. Samuel from Zoom here. If you ever have questions you can't find an answer to for any Zoom product feel free to post here. You can also always email me directly at sgreene@zoom-na.com. If I'm not available to help I'll forward to someone who can.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Welcome Samuel. If you search around you will see several lively discussions of Zoom products, especially the F4 & F8. I have an H6 and an F4 and I am generally very pleased with the product. The things I am less than thrilled about mainly concern the menus and meta-data issues. For example it would be great if there was a way to erase "history" items on the F4 without resetting the whole device. I have a large number of misspelled or mistaken history items that I must scroll through to get to the useful ones. I wish I could select one item and erase it, or at least drop it to the bottom of the list.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Love my F8!
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer/Director, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

4. Collapse Details
    Found us did you, Sam?

Mostly happy with my F4. My main gripe is a hardware one, having to buy adapters or new cables when the recorder has both XLR and Phone Jacks, is annoying. Would Mic/Line switches have cost that much more?

5. Collapse Details
    Welcome, Samuel from Zoom.

6. Collapse Details
    Good to see you here Samuel. You have been helpful on JW's audio group where some of us pro audio folks also frequent.

7. Collapse Details
    F4 Limiter Question:

I find the limiters on my F4 entirely adequate, but I have a question about how they are implemented. Going by the circuit diagram in the manual, it looks like the whole 4 mic pre's, A/D converters, and limiters are all in one IC. The question I have is do the limiters adjust the pre-amplifier gain? My experiments tend to indicate they do, but I would like to know for sure.

If is is of any importance, how I set my F4 is 16bit/48K, -12db gain level, with the limiters set to -6db, soft knee. I have not seen any clipping with those settings.

Actually, there is a long dumb argument over on gearslutz.com about just this issue, in which we who have F series recorders say the limiters work fine, and the "experts" say no way.

8. Collapse Details
    The "clipping" examples I have heard/ seen are more noticeable, less invisible that "clipping" on a MixPre. In both cases I have never heard anything close to what digital clipping sounds like, but the F series when hard hit is a bit rougher than the SD limiters.

With norman use i.e. short transients going over but 99.9% of the signal not, I doubt anybody would hear a difference. With massive overload both will have a very squared off signal but in my experience the SD limiters will have none of the scratchy harshness and the F series will have a bit.

FX folks will be the ones really pushing that edge and tests with things like gunshots would tell you where the bar is. From what I have heard I wouldn't worry for production sound, FX?
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    We have heard this a bit and I have talked to our engineers. I think a likely addition in the future

Quote Originally Posted by ric8138 View Post
    Welcome Samuel. If you search around you will see several lively discussions of Zoom products, especially the F4 & F8. I have an H6 and an F4 and I am generally very pleased with the product. The things I am less than thrilled about mainly concern the menus and meta-data issues. For example it would be great if there was a way to erase "history" items on the F4 without resetting the whole device. I have a large number of misspelled or mistaken history items that I must scroll through to get to the useful ones. I wish I could select one item and erase it, or at least drop it to the bottom of the list.

10. Collapse Details
    We hear this one a lot. With current hardware it would not be possible. Although I don't know details on the cost, I have discussed with our engineers adding this in future products.

Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    Found us did you, Sam?

Mostly happy with my F4. My main gripe is a hardware one, having to buy adapters or new cables when the recorder has both XLR and Phone Jacks, is annoying. Would Mic/Line switches have cost that much more?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast