Thread: Audio Issue

1. Collapse Details
    Audio Issue
    I just shot a speaker at a business event yesterday. I used DPA 4060 lav into a Rode Filmmaker Wireless, into my Zaxcom Maxx, out to track 2 on the camera (line level), then track 1 on the camera was a sennheiser ME66 (just for clapping etc). So this happened on the recording, but I never heard it through the headphone jack on the camera which I was monitoring the entire time, but it recorded this as you can hear it was fine then all of a sudden... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loVX52P1q6s

The issue is on both camera tracks with totally separate inputs.

Fortunately, I was recording on my Maxx so I had a usable track...would have been hosed otherwise. Any ideas? I tried just the ME66 and recorded to see if the audio system was messed up on the camera, no problems, but next is to setup the same audio chain with maxx and see if it does it again...

Thank you!

Bill
    Last edited by wbrock001; 01-26-2017 at 08:39 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Bill, this is interesting. I have been having s similar problem but didn't think it was from the camera. I use th hmc 150s in a multicam environment often. I will get that kind of sounding distortion when I take audio from the camera into my mixer (embedded on the sdi converted from HDMI). It comes and goes regularly. For me though, it's not recorded on the sd card in the camera but it is recorded down stream of mixer.). One time I had two crown 160s going into the hmc 150 and this exact thing happened). Strange but I am definitely aware of that distinct sound. Keep us posted of what your tests reveal. I also need to text it.

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you for your response, I'll test it tomorrow with the same setup. It was really strange how it just kind of rolled in. I've used the same configuration many times and never had this happen. But the most disturbing is that I didn't hear it on the camera, but unlike yours it did record to both channels.

4. Collapse Details
    Yea, our problems are definitely different, however the weird audio is undoubtedly similar which makes me think similar things could be happening. Hopefully we'll figure this out. I'm out of town for a four day ice skating competition, but when I get back I will upload a sample of the sound problem we had for comparison.

5. Collapse Details
    3rd party battery voltage drop.

6. Collapse Details
    Hmmm, I'll test that. I only use panny batteries but the newest one I have is 6 years old...in fact with one of them I noticed the battery time left on the display never appeared... so I switched to a different one and 220 min appeared. So recorded with the second battery...and had that problem. So is it possible all I need are new batteries?

I tested my camera again today in the same configuration with the same battery that I used for the recording that gave me that weird audio and let it run for about an hour and it was fine no issues So during the recording I was doing a lot of zooming while tracking the speaker.

7. Collapse Details
    Well I let the battery get low, tried the same card, let it run for over and hour recording...none of the same issue. So its possible it was just a fluke, a bad one though. Though something that nags at me, the PA in the room has speakers all over the place, could magnetic fields or cell phone signals cause this? I guess I can try putting my cell phone right next to it and see if there is any effect.

8. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    That is weird. It might be a good idea to post this in the "Location Sound" forum here. Lots of sound experts hang out there.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr