1. Collapse Details
    HC-X1 (UX180) -White balance Question
    Hi,

I Just got my HC-X1 and playing around with it.
    The instruction manual is impossible to understand (at least in a few sections)

Here's some questions..

How Do I set the white balance to ATW? (in manual mode)
    (I can set it to Ach, Bch or var)

Where is the User10 to User13 buttons?

Not sure why yet, but I have a green-ish tint when white balance is at 3200k (indoors and not near any windows)

2. Collapse Details
    wow..found it...in the menu, the {ATW SET} must be set to Ach or Bch for ATW to work..by default it is off

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_911 View Post
    Where is the User10 to User13 buttons?
    On the LCD screen, across the left edge. Those are "virtual" buttons.

4. Collapse Details
    Yes, I observe the same thing. Panasonic HC-X1 has a an annoying green tint to footage, regardless of how you white balance it. The only solution I found is to use RB gain control function to add some blue and red to compensate for excessive green channel. But if you use a preset, you can't get rid of the green tint. I tried working with COLOR CORRECTION SETTING without success. I'm surprised how is it that the development division of Panasonic releases a camera that has an obvious color channel balancing issue. And with all the calibration tools they have?

I have Sony FS700 and I needed to match both, so I had to make FS700 look like HC-X1 as it's impossible to get HC-X1 to match FS700, which has a perfect white balance and color accuracy out of the box. Overall I've always been surprised over the many years, and owning a lot of different cameras, how many hardware/software flaws each one has had. After all, designing a complex digital camera and placing it into a production is not the same as baking a cake. Why do all these manufacturers skip a proper end-user testing before releasing it into the production? Give me any camera, and on the first day I'll find all flaws that could be eliminated before releasing it into the production. This simple step would eliminate so much hassle down the road. So far I haven't had a single camera that hasn't had its flaws, which could be easily eliminated before these cameras are placed in mass production. This puzzles me!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    One camera that I loved was the Sony Z5u. My All time favorite!

6. Collapse Details
    I have UX180 and green tint is killing me. I noticed that when I manually set wb and get some value (3200 or 4700 or something else) and dial that same number on VAR WB it is not nearly the same picture - on VAR WB there is much more green tint. My mistake I bought camera without trying it first. This is my 7th panasonic camera in last 20 years but I think it could be the last. Does anyone know where can I report bugs (i found some other things that are not working as they should).

7. Collapse Details
    Hi Zlatko,
    maybe my question was similar to yours http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...ability/page44
    post 438 and maybe answers will be usefull for you
    Pozdrav

8. Collapse Details
    That's because a manual white balance works under all light conditions, and the VAR white balance doesn't take into account purple/green shifts.

I know this isn't going to be a popular position, but it's correct so I'm going to say it -- there's almost no good reason to ever use the VAR white balance. Not on a UX180, not on a DSLR, not on any video camera. The VAR can only ever work properly if you're using 100 CRI light sources -- so, pretty much the sun, or tungsten lighting. If you're under fluorescents, or LEDs, or mixed lighting, you will not get correct color by using the VAR white balance. VAR cannot account for shifts in the purple/green axis! A manual white balance can; it takes into account all the colors and adjusts them so a white object looks white. The VAR does not take into account anything other than color temperature (red/blue axis). And so yes, if you've got lights that are giving off a green tint (and it is always the lights that are the source of the green tint) then yes, using the VAR will result in green-tinted footage.

So never use VAR. Bring along a white card (a real white card, not just a t-shirt or piece of paper) and execute a proper manual white balance, and you'll get great footage. Using the VAR, you're almost guaranteed to get greenish footage if you're shooting under mixed lights or LEDs or fluorescents.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    El VAR en la HC-X1000 funciona de perfectamente, entre otras muchas cosas, creo que Panasonic en este sentido ha dado un paso atrás.

The VAR on the HC-X1000 works perfectly, among other things, I think Panasonic in this regard has taken a step back.

10. Collapse Details
    It works perfectly on AC90 too and ac160. I have the same scene with the same lighting and set var wb on ac90 and ux180 to 3200k and 3200k preset on ac160. Colour on ac90 is very good, on ac160 preset 3200k almost the same as on ac90 and on ux180 is greenish. It is in theatre with mixed lighting. I can not climb on stage and set manual wb so only option is var or preset. i can fix it in post but ...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.