Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

    The post by Jim Simon is hidden due to low votes. Click the arrow to the right to expand it.


  1. Collapse Details
    #12
    Senior Member Thomas Smet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,833
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    An improvement, but still somewhat disappointing.

    Most wedding ceremonies are about an hour.
    You plan on shooting wedding ceremonies with 400mbps? To each their own I guess. Seems a bit overkill to me since there is little movement in a wedding ceremony. The 150mbps format offers most of the quality advantages at a much smaller size where you could easily handle a single file.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,140
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    An improvement, but still somewhat disappointing. Most wedding ceremonies are about an hour.
    But that's for a 96 GB file. You can shoot with two 256 GB V60 cards when they are available and shoot one clip of 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 400 Mbps for about 160 minutes.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    849
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    You plan on shooting wedding ceremonies with 400mbps? To each their own I guess. Seems a bit overkill to me since there is little movement in a wedding ceremony. The 150mbps format offers most of the quality advantages at a much smaller size where you could easily handle a single file.
    Indeed. If 4K, 10bit 4:2:2 @150mbps isn't good enough for your ceremony, you'd better be a Hollywood star marrying European royalty live in IMAX theaters. At that point, I think spanning two clips is the least of your concerns.


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,716
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    ..... or do we editors still have to contend with this highly undesirable design flaw?
    Geez Jim, I'd not want to live in your world. If having to deal with two files instead of one is a highly undesirable design flaw, it must be a tremendous hardship to have to drag a mouse around to do the other editing tasks. Ok, I'm poking you in the ribs because I don't understand your statement. Why is this a highly undesirable design flaw? I'd classify it as a minor, minor, inconvenience.


    4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    849
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Geez Jim, I'd not want to live in your world. If having to deal with two files instead of one is a highly undesirable design flaw, it must be a tremendous hardship to have to drag a mouse around to do the other editing tasks. Ok, I'm poking you in the ribs because I don't understand your statement. Why is this a highly undesirable design flaw? I'd classify it as a minor, minor, inconvenience.
    In theory it could be an editorial headache on a large production, but realistically I've found that the larger the production, the shorter the takes.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #17
    Senior Member Cary Knoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Newark CA, USA
    Posts
    723
    Default
    They have already done away with it. Already on the GX85 there is no longer any spanning.

    It is definitely a time saver and avoids problems with for instance Plural Eyes with audio drift adjustments.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,140
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    They have already done away with it. Already on the GX85 there is no longer any spanning.
    Can anyone confirm this with 128 GB SD card ? ( my understanding is that new Pansonic cameras will segment their files at 96 GB )


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Posts
    239
    Default
    You guys really don't understand what you're asking for. The longer the take, the larger the file, the more likely the file is exposed to being corrupted. What happens when the battery dies in the middle of that epic take? Would you rather lose the whole wedding or just the last five minutes?
    I'm just saying, you know.


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Posts
    239
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    An improvement, but still somewhat disappointing.

    Most wedding ceremonies are about an hour.
    Just find another camera! Panny just ain't gonna meet your needs with the GH LINE. Time to get a Black Magic 4.6K Mini Ursa and call it a day.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •