Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Holy cow.

Quote Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
    You gotta learn to edit posts and multi-quote Jim.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I know how. I chose not to.

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I actually like and prefer the multi-file clips. I record band that typically go an hour - hour and a half and I'm concerned that any problem and I will lose everything, not just the last few mins. Can I format to fat32 in computer and use in cam? Guess I can test that.. But just asking in anyone knows.

4. Collapse Details
    AVCHD will always be spanned clips whatever the format and on the GH5 you could set it to record to both cards simultaneous anyway for all codecs I think a better solution.

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicvideo View Post
    I actually like and prefer the multi-file clips. I record band that typically go an hour - hour and a half and I'm concerned that any problem and I will lose everything, not just the last few mins.
    I've been shooting with GH2, GH3, GH4, GH5 cameras since 2012, I have yet to lose any footage. I use premium SDXC cards and I alway format my cards in camera before every shoot to guarantee that the cards and the cameras are working properly.

If I was worried about losing any footage I would set up my GH5 to DUAL record so that I have two identical copies of every shot on two separate memory cards, so if one card was accidentally trashed I would always have the back-up card.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicvideo View Post
    Can I format to fat32 in computer and use in cam?
    Why would you want to ? ...I recommend always formatting in camera before you shoot to guarantee that the cards and your camera are working properly. Formatting in your computer guarantees nothing, unless you want to do a very lengthy low-level format to check that every sector of your memory card is working properly.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post

If you shoot AVCHD formats or use SDHC cards that are formatted as FAT32 you will back to the old 4 GB file segments. ( not that big of a deal for AVCHD if you use an import tool that will automatically stitch the 4 GB file segments back to the full clip size )
    What is that import tool you speak of? Thanks so much!!
    Jan vs Jim... I'm putting my $ on the Jersey Girl.

7. Collapse Details
    Panasonic Photofun that comes with the camera or there is a link to get it. But why shoot AVCHD with the GH5 ? You have two card slots on the GH5 can record to both make sure you have fresh batteries or use an external battery like the Atomos Power Station that I use and you will never run out of power !! If you are paranoid about loosing something then use two cameras. Much safer and can get high quality from the GH5 and use a lower cost AVCHD as backup. For years I have shot with three camera for this very reason and gives the option of different angles in editing. Currently use the GH5 in UHD for a fixed full stage shot and the others to get the other angles/framing.

It doesn't matter if you format in camera to exFAT, AVCHD will always be in FAT32 like files so no need to format FAT32.

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMurcerFan View Post
    What is that import tool you speak of?
    Many editors have an import tool for AVCHD footage. The tool reads the meta-data on the memory card which tells your editor how to stitch all of the segments back into one large video file when you import it.

I use Vegas Pro, which has a tool called "Device Explorer" which will recognize all of the 4 GB file segments as one large video if you import the video from the camera card. ( it needs the meta-data the camera writes to the card to do this )

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345