Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    This stupid gamma shift baffles every effort I made of being unbiased shooting some side by side with my Raven.
    12bit 4444 it's soo nice!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by balazer View Post
    Sigh... If that's what Canon has done in this new firmware, then they have screwed up. Canon Log 1/2/3 are *not* full range. They use standard BT.709 level range encodings, though with an extended range of highlights above 100% (superwhites).
    When looking at a 10 bit code value scope in say DaVinci Resolve, setting the footage to Full Range lands a black capped frame of Canon Log 1/3 at 128 - and that is the stated black point of Canon Log 1/3. When setting it to video levels, that level is brought down well below where the curve maps black. The curve literally does not allow for any data to fall below 128.

The REC Out terminal also fed to a 8 bit scale shows a live capped off shot at 32.

Everything I've seen leads me to believe the Canon Log's are encoded at full 0-255, while Wide DR is 16-255 (Video Levels with Super Whites) as you refer to balazer.

But that line in the white papers did give me doubt - I think it is just worded a little odd.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cane141 View Post
    The thing is, it seems to be an FCPX issue really, as PP, DaVinci and XF utility all seem fine, so I guess the firmware is ok, it's more how FCPX interprets it with the tag you mention.
    Just tested similarly and I can confirm. PPro and Resolve both do not demonstrate this behavior in either the image itself, the 'in-app' scopes, or two sets of external scopes (FSI Monitor and Scopebox run through Mac Mini server). The behavior in FCPX for me is that pausing causes a brief Gamma spike when the space bar is hit and then Gamma immediately returns to normal. It's annoying but not a big drama.

I'm in contact with an FCPX dev. I'm happy to reach out to him to tell him about this behavior. So to clarify... as previously stated, there's a Gamma spike upon pausing playback with various flavors of C Log footage. Does this accurately express other's experience as well?

4. Collapse Details
    Screenshot of the same Log 3 clip played in QuickTime Player (left) and VLC (Right) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/3z0b8ug1jt...26.08.png?dl=0

The QuickTime clip is similar to what it looks like in FCPX when it is done rendering, the VLC clip is what it looks like during rendering. To me the it looks like the VLC clips is the correct one?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex P View Post
    Screenshot of the same Log 3 clip played in QuickTime Player (left) and VLC (Right) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/3z0b8ug1jt...26.08.png?dl=0

The QuickTime clip is similar to what it looks like in FCPX when it is done rendering, the VLC clip is what it looks like during rendering. To me the it looks like the VLC clips is the correct one?
    Per this thread, I understand that's a QT issue: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...port-Solutions

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaholic View Post
    When looking at a 10 bit code value scope in say DaVinci Resolve, setting the footage to Full Range lands a black capped frame of Canon Log 1/3 at 128 - and that is the stated black point of Canon Log 1/3. When setting it to video levels, that level is brought down well below where the curve maps black. The curve literally does not allow for any data to fall below 128.
    Scopes in DaVinci Resolve don't show you 10-bit code values. The scale on the scopes is pure fiction. Resolve's pixel format is 32-bit floating point RGB, with reference white at (1,1,1) and reference black at (0,0,0). The top of the scopes is 1 and the bottom of the scopes is 0. At no point does Resolve show you the actual code values of the video file. The file gets decoded and interpreted and mapped into the 32-bit floating point values, and yes, that interpretation depends on how Data Levels is set in Clip Attributes. On the Mac, it can also depend on what interpretation Quicktime does when decoding the video file, before any image data is even passed to Resolve.

7. Collapse Details
    Here's what I'm seeing in Premiere Pro cc2017 on a windows 7 PC. C-log 1 black levels should be 7.3 IRE. They are at that level in all modes, except the internal RGB 444 modes, both 12 bit and 10 bit. The proxy files, the hdmi port,and the sdi port all put c-log black levels at 7.3, as does the c100mkII.

Here's a screen capture of my scopes in Premiere: https://vimeo.com/200226444

8. Collapse Details
    Is this issue also showing up in Premier Pro, or just FCPX and Resolve? My camera is still in 1.04, haven't done the 1.06 yet.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex P View Post
    Here is a sample file with lens cap on, firmware 1.0.6, Canon Log 3 : C.Gamut, preset.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8u4vda7pg6...CANON.MXF?dl=0
    Hi, Alex.

Thanks for uploading. It was an elephant in a room, not black. I analyzed the clip, and it does have the H.264 VUI video_full_range_flag set. That would appear a bug in Canon's firmware, but I'd still like to analyze an all-black clip so I can be absolutely sure before I reach out to Canon.
    Last edited by balazer; 01-19-2017 at 08:33 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    This has been fixed with FCPX update.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast