Thread: La La Land

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    SPOILER**********

One thing that's been really bugging me while thinking about the movie after the fact is that the downfall of their relationship begins when she starts hounding him about not opening his club RIGHT NOW. The guy had a well-paying gig which was bringing him some name recognition. How was he not going to be in much better shape -- financially, and with more ability to attract a crowd -- to open the club after a few years of that? And in the scheme of things, what difference did those few years make? It just seems weird, and being really pivotal to an important plot development, it kind of clangs off-key.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    SPOILER**********

One thing that's been really bugging me while thinking about the movie after the fact is that the downfall of their relationship begins when she starts hounding him about not opening his club RIGHT NOW. The guy had a well-paying gig which was bringing him some name recognition. How was he not going to be in much better shape -- financially, and with more ability to attract a crowd -- to open the club after a few years of that? And in the scheme of things, what difference did those few years make? It just seems weird, and being really pivotal to an important plot development, it kind of clangs off-key.
    It was a pretty big change of character for him to stick with the band considering he was really only a die-hard classic jazz fanatic beforehand. They both had to change their dreams some what in pursuit of success. No real reason they couldn't have tried to make it work though.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by agcohn View Post
    It was a pretty big change of character for him to stick with the band considering he was really only a die-hard classic jazz fanatic beforehand.
    It's not an unbelievable one, though. It certainly wasn't worth trashing their whole relationship because he wasn't trying to start his club RIGHT NOW.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

4. Collapse Details
    I went to cinema with my wife and one of her friends. Both ladies liked the musical very much. Me I didn't enjoy. I do like the acting of Stone, but not her face/singing, Goseling didn't give any help: difficult to believe in the relationship between these two. Though the choreography was good imho. Just guess musiacals aren't for me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345