Thread: La La Land

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    DLD:
    Thank you for crediting 2 of his great directors. Yeah, those Mitchell BNC's were beasts! In the 30's, 40's and 50's, there was no greater studio than MGM. My wife and I roamed, unattended, the standing sets of MGM's Backlot 2 (the one that was right across the street from their stages in Culver City - now Sony Studios) a few months before they bulldozed it:
    http://www.mgmbacklot2.com/MGM_-_Mem...e_Backlot.html

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Cyclone, those pictures were fantastic! I love old Hollywood locations. It's tempted to be sad seeing the crumbling "neglected" standing sets but of course, they were never built to be permanent in the first place. I recently snuck into the storage facility on Glendale Blvd that was one of the original Mack Sennet soundstages for a quick look around.

There's a great walking tour of the Sunset and Vine area that I took a few years back, highly recommended. The surrounding area is the most dense in LA for entertainment history, between the television, radio, music and film industries. http://felixinhollywoodtours.com
    Charles Papert

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you, Charles.
    And thanks for the info about the tour; I'll check it out. I also love that kind of stuff (as you can tell by my website). It does make me sad, even though, yes, the sets were never meant to last. But as the late afternoon breeze was blowing (the lot was only about 5 miles from the ocean), you could also imagine W.C. Field's voice echoing through Copperfield court, or Gene Kelly singing "Singing in the Rain" on the sidewalk lamp post on the New York street set. My favorite set piece was the shot of Copperfield Court...mostly because it was deteriorating. It was almost like I was standing on one side of the draw bridge gate, the side of of reality, where life is real and sometimes ugly, but the steel gate was slowly lowering on the world behind it, the world of movies and dreams and fantasy...almost like a Twilight Zone episode. Almost like if we stood on the other side of the lowering gate, we'd become part of the "other" world. Also interesting to me was that train station actually had a spur of track leading off of the lot (through hidden gates) so that Louie B. Mayer could bring whatever actual train he needed for a western, or a Judy Garland picture or whatever. The tracks went much further than then just the station set (which was in the southwest corner of the lot). The tracks wound their way through the lot: a Middle America set, Andy Hardy's street and many others.
    I'd love to get a glimpse of the old Mack Sennet place.
    And can you believe that Universal, just 2 years ago, tore down Soundstage 28? - one of the oldest sound stages in Hollywood. It still had the sets inside still standing from Chaney's Phantom of the Opera (the sides of the Opera House interior). They tore it down to add a thrill ride to their amusement park. It truly does bring a tear to my eye.
    1925:
    stage28-1.jpg
    2014:
    stage28-2a.jpg
    Today it's gone.

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I heard that the Phantom set was put in storage though? So it may reappear at a later date. Better than nothing, I guess. Universal has made it quite clear that the revenue from the theme park trumps the studio rentals, so they will likely stop at nothing to favor the former over nostalgia for the latter.

To attempt to bring this back around to the subject--LA has traditionally been soft on preservation, something to do with that pioneer spirit I guess, but it has been heartening to see how the trend in recent years especially in nightlife has been to restore and revive rather than raze. Cole's, Clifton's, Highland Bowl, Idle Hour...honoring the original spirit with loving restorations and give them some new zip. Really glad to hear that Angel's Flight is due to trundle up Bunker Hill again soon (after that quick glimpse in LaLa Land)!
    Charles Papert

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    I heard that the Phantom set was put in storage though?
    Excellent - I didn't know that.
    CLIFTON'S - wow, that takes me way back. When I was 10 and my parent's said, "We're going out to eat; where would you like to go?" "Clifton's!"

6. Collapse Details
    To return to the musicals. And with Easter (Parade) in mind.

7. Collapse Details
    I loved the film...up to the ending. Guys...this is a fantasy! No one really breaks out in song except, of course, in musicals.

I gave it an 85. If the ending was nice and happy...I would have given it a 95.

La La Land was an audacious film that really was hugely satisfying...until that huge letdown.

The freeway shot was done on a weekend. They practiced the moves for months...on flat land. The city of LA would only let them shoot for that one weekend. It's edited to look like one take, but it's three takes, stitched together.

For $30 million, it was a HELL of a lot more satisfying than Superman v. Batman 11.

The world is a friggin' mess! A little (or a lot) of escapism is exactly what we need. I got the soundtrack, and I will actually but the DVD.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    a charming film...shot beautifully on film!

9. Collapse Details
    Cool

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234