1. Collapse Details
    Recommend an adapter + prime lens for Canon EOS M? $75 total.
    I'm planning to buy a Canon EOS M body in the near future. Can you recommend a lens/adapter combo for $75 or less?

Ideally, this would be a prime lens. I'll be using it mostly to shoot video in-doors, often in relatively cramped spaces, so a wider angle with a wider aperture would be ideal. I'm fine with manual focus.

My budget is pretty skimpy. There may be few options. There may not be any at all. Even if you post just to let me know that's the case, you'll still be helping me out, because I can then move on to plan B.

I can search eBay or some of the second-hand camera gear sites to find lenses which meet my specs and fall within my price range. However, I don't know how to determine the relative quality of each lens. I was hoping y'all could help me with that.

-Clay

2. Collapse Details
    You'll have a hard time getting anything viable for $75. Why don't you get the M bundled with the 22mm f/2.0 to start? That's a pretty sharp lens, and requires no adapter.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

3. Collapse Details
    The 22mm will cost around 150. I'm trying to stay below 75.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay201 View Post
    The 22mm will cost around 150. I'm trying to stay below 75.
    with an eos-m you will need an adapter from the canon unique ef-m mount to any other mount.

there are eos ef-m adapters from canon: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...apter_kit.html

or from a eos ef-m to a say a canon fd generic version: https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Pro-...W6DDQAYMYW952D

you can then buy any legacy glass lens that fits your budget.

it is not impossible to find a very reasonably priced 50mm/f1.8 from pentax k mount, minolta md mount, canon fd mount, olympus om mount.

in the end, i think you will probably be closer to spending $100 which includes the ef-m adapter and a used legacy lens.

i shot with the original eos-m for 3yrs+ and thought the motion images were fine and the still images even better.

i hope the above is helpful.

be well.

rob
    smalltalk.productions
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

5. Collapse Details
    Thank you for the recommendations. I might be able to make $100 work.

So you're recommending the Fotodiox adapter? You think it's the best option in my price range? I'm asking because I just don't have any idea how to judge the quality of one particular adapter against another. I see very inexpensive adapters on eBay all the time. I'm wary because I figure I'll get what I pay for. On the other hand, I've used cheap, straight-from-China-via-eBay gear before and it did the job.

Likewise, I don't know how to judge the quality of lenses. Are you saying that all of the prime lenses that are (a) made of glass and (b) in my price range are about equal in quality? If not, then how do I figure out whether lens A is better than lens B? I can compare specs (focal length, aperture, etc.) of course, but obviously those don't tell the whole story. I can google each individual model as I come across it and, hopefully, find some sort of review or sample photos/videos. Surely, though, there's a better way?

Also... how do I know which lenses are made of glass and which ones are made of something else? Some eBay listings provide plenty of technical info; others very little.

As you can see, I just don't know enough about lenses yet. Perhaps you can point me towards a resource or two that will help me learn what I need to know? I have looked at the list, in this forum, of lenses recommended for EOS cameras, but they all seem to be out of my price range.

Your help is very much appreciated.

6. Collapse Details
    About ten years ago I had an HDR-FX1 with a Letus Canon adapter (the lengths we went to get film like bokeh in those days!). I had this cheapo lens which was surprisingly good-- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Y134-Sears-2...4AAOSwo4pYJPLJ

28mm is a good in between focal length if you're only using one lens. Wide enough for wides if you have some space, and good close in.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." - W.C. Fields

7. Collapse Details
    Picked up a few 28mm F/2.8 lenses (PK mount) for $20 each and a really nice 50mm F/1.4 lens (M42 mount) for $80. There are some deals around if you look.

8. Collapse Details
    Every now and then you can get a Tokina 24-40mm 2.8 for under $100.