1. Collapse Details
    Can You Record MINI DV tapes to VHS using the DVX100 Pass-through Feature?
    Question
    I know you can digitise analogue tapes using the Pass-Through feature on the DVX100 however can you also use Pass-Through to tape mini DV footage to VHS tapes (when connected to a VHS player)?

(it's for a project)

Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!!

2. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Yes you can. I have done it many times.

You can also connect a VCR to the DVX via the A/V connectors (red/white/yellow RCA), then connect the camera to a computer via firewire, and use the camera as a pass-through to record from VHS directly to your computer's hard drive, if you have the proper video recording software.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

3. Collapse Details
    Well, you don't just need the software, you need a firewire port, and those are hard to come by these days.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

4. Collapse Details
    As David said, getting a firewire port is no easy task, if you don't have one already.

You can get a card for a desktop computer, but if you're using a laptop, there's awfully slim pickings out there.

If you're an Apple user, it may be a tad easier. There's a Thunderbolt 3 adapter out there from OWC, it's a dock that has multiple ports and one of them is a firewire port. If you have a Thunderbolt 2-equipped Mac instead, they also made a dock for that.

Apple makes a Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire adapter, if your computer has a Thunderbolt 2 port. A tad convoluted; if you had a new Thunderbolt 3/USB-C mac, you'd be looking at having to use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, then the Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire adapter (which converts to FW800), then finally a FW800 to FW400 adapter or cable to the DVX. I have one of the Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire adapters around here somewhere, if you decide that's the way you need to go I'd be glad to sell it to you, just send a PM.

If your Windows computer has a USB-C port, don't go thinking you can use the Apple adapters, because Thunderbolt 3 isn't USB-C; it's "Thunderbolt" in a USB-C shape, with USB-C added, but USB-C doesn't have Thunderbolt protocol, so the Apple Thunderbolt 3 adapter is very likely not going to work on a Windows USB-C computer, even if the cable fits in the port.

For a Windows user, either get a firewire card for your desktop computer, or the best solution for a laptop user is probably to buy some manky old laptop off ebay that still has a firewire port on it, and use that for capturing.

5. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Design Media Consultants's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Reelkid;1986675034]I know you can digitise analogue tapes using the Pass-Through feature on the DVX100 however can you also use Pass-Through to tape mini DV footage to VHS tapes (when connected to a VHS player)?

Not sure you guys are reading this correctly. He wants to record from Mini DV tape to VHS - not the other way around. I Convert VHS to digital without software or going through a camera. Just go from the deck to the computer into Final Cut. That is the easy part. The hard part is taking the time to actually do it. I have VHS tapes that I have planned on converting, and piles of Mini DV tapes that I need to capture. No time to get around to it.