Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    It does create moderation issues.

Typically, we see someone offering a bundled camera package with six additional items also listed in the bundle. Then seller offers to "split the package."
    ... (snipped for brevity)
    Seems to me it would be a far better approach to just delete the comments asking for things to be split up. Or require that pricing be provided for individual items if you're willing to split them up. In other words, go after the ACTUAL moderation issue (the excessive commenting) rather than trying to head it off at the pass and catching relatively innocent stuff (like my one sentence that apparently warranted a deletion).

I try very hard to enforce those rules fairly, consistently, and objectively. I'm unclear how this translates into heavy handed.
    To clarify what I mean by "heavy handed"... my post had one sentence that violated the rules. It was copy and pasted in there accidentally. Instead of editing the post to remove that sentence, you deleted the entire thread. If this is the only place I'd posted that and I'd spent some time actually writing a good post (which I generally do), I'd (rightly) be a little pissed at that. I think if you look at it objectively, you'd realize you'd probably feel the same.

Sometimes absolute consistency is actually a really really bad way to go. That's essentially what a "zero tolerance" policy is... and it's why we have kids getting expelled from schools because they brought a butter knife to class in their backpack. I'd MUCH prefer you exercise your judgement rather than robotically deleting every thread that steps over the line a tiny bit.

If banter back and forth relating to this rule is such a burden and moderation issue, I'd suggest LOCKING the thread with a note about why it was locked and then if the poster wants to unlock it, they can contact a mod to do so. If you had a few of these notes in a text file somewhere, it'd take hardly more time than deleting the thread and it would solve the problem from both ends.

We have no issue with any seller who offers items for sale as a package, or individually. We just ask that it not be done in the same thread.
    So in my case... if I want to sell a bundled camera/lens but want to let my buyers know I'm open to selling them individually too, I should open TWO threads with identical items... one as a bundle and one as individual items? Doesn't that seem a little silly (and more likely to pollute the forum)?
    Last edited by jbregar; 03-10-2017 at 08:59 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
    If I can unpack this a bit, it seems the main gripe (that we may be able to address) is that some of you (established members) are feeling like you don't get a clear indication as to why a moderation action was taken in the marketplace.
    I think that's a pretty good summation of the issue, yes. When actions like this are taken with ZERO notice or followup, it's really hard to determine what happened and that kind of confusion doesn't inspire confidence in the site. Did the site take a dumper? Did we have to restore from a backup? Was it hacked? Did I screw something up and it didn't get posted right? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Imagine if you sat down at your computer one day and went to view your web site and it was just gone. No email, no messaging... it just gives a "Can't find server" error. This is the same thing at a smaller scale.

I can understand that point of view. However, looking at it from David's perspective, it becomes that much more time consuming if he has to personally message every member whose marketplace thread he closes/deletes. This can also be multiplied by the fact that, this being the internet, interaction with folks frequently adds to length of time spent on each moderation issue, while (unfortunately) doing little to ease a particular member's frustration. In a perfect world, he could send a simple pm with explanation and 99 out of 100 times, that would be the end of it... Unfortunately, the ratios of it turning into him having to spend 30+ minutes per user make it too time consuming for him.
    I disagree. I think sending a note when you nuke an entire thread is the least you can do. Will it add to the moderation burden? Perhaps a bit... but if you're going to destroy data you owe the poster of that data at least the bare minimum of an explanation.

That said, I don't think threads need to be nuked nearly as often as they are.

So, however poorly I've just articulated it, there is the concern of trying to strike the balance between adequately informing members to avoid unnecessary frustration, and not adding 30 minutes of back and forth private messaging to every (or even a few out of 10) moderation action in the marketplace (not to mention, that it sometimes does nothing to help minimize member frustration). Especially, when coupled with (from our perspective) feeling like the rules are laid out pretty clearly, and long-time members are the ones we most expect to have a good handle on the marketplace rules, which haven't really changed in a long time.

While, I can understand that (from your perspective) it doesn't seem that the enforcement provides enough benefit, I witness the benefit first hand just by contrasting the marketplace here, with the higher traffic marketplace on reduser, which is a never-ending battle against excessive commercial activity, opportunists, and scammers. Things very quickly become a cluster-poo poo, which is why when I weigh the inconvenience, vs. the value that David provides, I'm inclined to opt for a harder line (at least with regards to the marketplace).

Now, if there is a way that we can better communicate the cause of a marketplace moderation action that doesn't add to David's burden, I'm all for discussing those options. Again, feel free to pm me any suggestions along those lines. I'm not saying this to guilt trip anyone, or fish for praise, but... straight up... the time and effort that David has contributed to single-handedly managing the marketplace over the years is absolutely priceless to me and to the site. He has my full trust and confidence to manage the marketplace as a result of the peace of mind he provides, and I'm not inclined to make his job more burdensome without significant benefit to the marketplace.
    It's simple. Stop nuking threads for minor infractions (like my copy/pasted sentence saying that I was open to splitting the camera and lens). If it were me, I'd see if the thread gets out of hand and if it does, lock it. If you wanted to take a bit of a harder line, lock it when you see a minor rule infraction with a note saying why it was locked. If the user wants to fix the problem and ask that it be unlocked, great. Otherwise it slowly fades into the ether. That shouldn't provide much more moderation burden, but it makes it clear why a thread was locked AND doesn't destroy data with no warning or followup.

3. Collapse Details
    jbgear hits a lot of good points I also left out of my post. I also wanted to point out that one can spend a great deal of time creating a post, getting URL links from external photo sites, working with currency exchange rates and trying to figure out the best US dollar figure to use if outside the USA, amongst a lot of other things that go into writing a comprehensive and decent "for sale" post. If you have no backup of that post, you are pretty screwed and imagine you go through the trouble of typing it again only to have it deleted a second time. That's even worse, and in my case my posts were deleted twice and I honestly didn't know why. I had a backup of my post, but how many people really do that?

To have a post poof out of thin air and go missing is too much confusion and not really serving new or old members in the community. I know moderating the marketplace is a burden and likely all community based forums have these types of issues. But there has to be a better way.

cheers,
    Dennis Hingsberg

4. Collapse Details
    So, I've read your feedback, and discussed with David the primary issues he deals with, and we've arrived at the following changes that we would like to try out in the marketplace:

1. Instead of deleting some threads, David will lock some threads with a reference to the rule violation. This way, members can be made aware that a moderation action was taken, and for what reason, as well as have an opportunity to copy/paste from the original thread, with appropriate correction, into a new thread (not lose the hard work that valid members may have put into a listing). Or, pm myself or David to correct and reinstate the original thread, if necessary.

2. As a general site rule, moderators have long been discouraged from editing individual posts, and have been encouraged to, instead, delete an offending post. However, as a trial, when appropriate (and only in the marketplace), David can/will edit some posts to bring them into compliance with marketplace guidelines. An, "edited by" reason will be stated for the convenience of the member, and for transparency. This allows your threads a a greater likelihood of staying open, rather than being deleted/closed and may help alleviate some member frustration (provided, it doesn't unnecessarily increase David's workload). Note: There is a record of any edits to a post that can be referred to in the event of any accusation of misuse of the post edit function. It will show the entire edit history of the post, and which user made what changes.

3. Bundles mean Bundles. Bundled threads are currently the primary hassle and time-suck for marketplace moderation. Short of prohibiting bundled threads, we ask that you do not post a bundle unless you are *only* willing to sell it as a bundle. From our side, this is a primary method of skirting bumping rules, commercial activity, etc, etc. There are no exceptions on this. We leave the option open for those who truly want to sell their gear *only* as a bundle. If you post "willing to split", your thread may be closed/deleted. If a buyer asks "will you split the package?", their post will be deleted without warning. If you make a habit of infringing on this, you may lose marketplace privileges and/or be suspended from the site as a whole. If you originally post multiple items as a bundle and later decide to break it up, you must *first* close the bundle thread, *then* re-post the items individually.

The hope is that this will strike a reasonable balance between addressing some of the member frustrations, and re-allocating some of David's time away from the recurring issues he spends the most time on, so that time can be used for a little more communication/clarity when moderation actions are taken.

So, lets see how it goes...

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

5. Collapse Details
    I forgot to include:

4. Because we will be trying to more strictly enforce the "bundles means bundles" rule, instead of three open threads, we are increasing the maximum number of open threads/listings you can have to five.

5. I have decided to also allow you to bump your thread once per week for any reason to update its position. This is something we have allowed on reduser for a time. It seems to be appreciated by the members, and doesn't seem to add to the moderation burden to monitor. Other bumping rules still apply, but you may post a simple "bump" once per 7 days on your active threads. NOTE: This means, if your thread hasn't been posted in/updated for 7 days, you can bump it. It doesn't mean, if someone just posted a question in your thread yesterday (on day 6) and you answered them yesterday, that today you can post "bump". Make sense? We'd ask that you delete your previous "bump" post when making a new 7 day bump to help keep your thread tidy. David may also delete older "bumps" from threads for the same reason.

Accept No Imitations.
    and...

6. Collapse Details
    Question... can you post a bunch of individual items with a note that you'll consider a lower price for multiple-item purchases?

Basically a reverse bundle.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys, I think I speak for a lot of users when I say that we appreciate the Marketplace facility, and definitely appreciate you listening to our requests and feedback. I think the once per week bump rule is spot on, and hopefully won't cause any issues.
    Steve

8. Collapse Details
    Yes thanks guys, these are great changes and let's all hope they work and are for the better!

I think now that DVX has had prefix categories for a while, it will help with bumped posts and keeping it under control.

cheers,
    Dennis Hingsberg

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    Question... can you post a bunch of individual items with a note that you'll consider a lower price for multiple-item purchases?

Basically a reverse bundle.
    The whole bundles thing may have to be revisited, but, the way I am viewing it right now:

Create a listing for my hvx200. at end of that post, "I also have 2 64Terabyte P2 cards for sale @ link"

Then, as per the pre-existing rules, someone who might be interested in buying both, can pm you and state as much, and you can negotiate those particulars via pm.

Alternatively, you can give a go at a bundled package thread first. If that isn't working out for you, close it, and re-post the items individually.

Accept No Imitations.
    and...

10. Collapse Details
    Fair enough. Sounds good. Thanks for listening and taking some of the suggestions. Have a good one!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast