1. Collapse Details
    Subject Release - Music Video
    I'm working on a music video. There is a section that requires filming real people in Times Square. From what I understand I can film people, however, I would need release forms for anyone that is going to be used in the final edit. I am guessing that holding up a filming in progress sign woudn't cut it.

I just want to make sure there is no other way of going about this since it would make things a whole lot easier not have to run up to every person I film to sign a release (plus it would help with the Candid nature of the shoot.) Also, New Yorkers tend to walk around you when you try to ask get their attention.
    Last edited by egproductions; 11-17-2016 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Typo
    Cameras: Sony FS7, Canon 5D IV, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

2. Collapse Details
    I don't think a 'filming in progress' sign would give you much legal protection at all.

Why not simply use shallow focus so that random passers-by are blurry enough to be unrecognizable?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by clang View Post
    Why not simply use shallow focus so that random passers-by are blurry enough to be unrecognizable?
    The music video requires the shot to show peoples/strangers faces.
    Cameras: Sony FS7, Canon 5D IV, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

4. Collapse Details
    Also keep in mind that while it's a music video, perhaps it would not be considered commercial use but rather editorial. The purpose of the music video is to comment on modern day social behaviours. The organization that is producing it is a non-profit. Do you think I have a case for editorial use?

5. Collapse Details
    I really think you need to ask your lawyer this question. Not the non profit's lawyer, who will tell you what's in their interest, but your own, who will tell you what your own legal exposure is.
    Post production is not an afterthought!
    www.arniepix.com

6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Design Media Consultants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by egproductions View Post
    Also keep in mind that while it's a music video, perhaps it would not be considered commercial use but rather editorial. The purpose of the music video is to comment on modern day social behaviours. The organization that is producing it is a non-profit. Do you think I have a case for editorial use?
    You really cannot just guess. The law is difficult to interpret and even attorneys will have different opinions on some topics. And that is often why cases go to trial. I do not think that being a nonprofit or claiming it is for editorial purposes will be a good defense. But I am guessing as are you. I would say you need legal advice. It might be easier and cheaper to rewrite the script to avoid shooting that many people. Am interested in what you find out.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by egproductions View Post
    The music video requires the shot to show peoples/strangers faces.
    Why don't you have the artist bring some of their peoples. Use them as extras and cut down on the amount of faces you need to show...maybe block it tighter. Sounds like a pain in the butt.