1. Collapse Details
    Interesting Insight Into Nikon's Dynamic Range
    I spoke with a Nikon rep today about lacking video features. And one issue I brought up was not very good continuous AF. He agreed that phase detect is better for moving subjects. But he also said that using pixels for phase detect causes about a two stop loss in DR. So that's why they don't use it in their DSLR's.

A good counter point, I thought.
    Last edited by BobbyMurcerFan; 11-14-2016 at 11:31 PM.
    Jan vs Jim... I'm putting my $ on the Jersey Girl.

2. Collapse Details
    That is interesting, I wonder what the science is behind that?

3. Collapse Details
    It does increase noise, which reduces DR, but I didn't think it was THAT much. Maybe half a stop.

4. Collapse Details
    Is there a significant loss of performance between the Sony and the Nikon cameras that essentially use the same sensor, with Sony using their "4D" auto-focus on all new cameras?

5. Collapse Details
    The NEX-5N didn't have PDAF, the NEX-5R had it. Whatever the negative impact of PDAF was, it was small enough that it was offset by just one year of progress in sensor design, because dxomark measured higher DR on the 5R than on the 5N (link).

Also, the a5000 didn't have PDAF, but the a6000 did. Both released at the same time, one more expensive than the other. Whatever negative impact PDAF had, it was small enough that the higher-end sensor had better DR than the non-PDAF one. Link.

Then again, Nikon seems to be getting more DR than Sony out of the same sensors. The D5500 probably uses the same sensor of the a6000. If Sony is being generous and letting Nikon use last-gen sensor, it's the one on the a6300. The D5500 beats them both on DR. Link. It's still a small difference, in any case, and it only shows up at low ISO.
    Last edited by Samuel H; 11-20-2016 at 01:54 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Do you know if Nikon Flat makes a real difference or is it similar to cinestyle that actually robbed you of some dynamic range.?