Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Is there any reason to continue saying "NLE"?
    Not really, but it seems it's still best to say NLE when googling. If you google for "best nle" you get articles about the professional programs: Avid, Premiere, and Final Cut. If you google for "best video editing software", you get hardly any mention of those. Instead you get recommendations of dubious quality like CyberLink, MAGIX, and Windows Movie Maker. Coincidentally I found this out last night when I was trying to catch up on what everybody's preferences are.

Quote Originally Posted by El Director View Post
    Its trimming functionality is unmatched
    I keep hearing this. It strikes me as odd, so I'm not understanding it. First of all, trimming is something I seldom do. Normally, I choose a clip's in- and out-points before dragging it to the timeline and afterward don't change it. So praising a program's trim mode strikes me like praising its Save-As window layout or something else as tiny. Second, how much better can it be?
    Last edited by combatentropy; 11-08-2016 at 11:40 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Avid editors like the way you can play the timeline while trimming for better timing of the cut, it is the best old skool way of trimming. Avid is a much more keyboard oriented style of editing too and the trimming is based around a lot of keyboard hotkeys. Personally, I didn't miss it and preferred FCP7 as I could pick up and move clips in a more tactile way.

Each to their own...
    Last edited by Nirv; 11-08-2016 at 12:14 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Not really, but it seems it's still best to say NLE when googling. If you google for "best nle" you get articles about the professional programs: Avid, Premiere, and Final Cut. If you google for "best video editing software", you get hardly any mention of those. Instead you get recommendations of dubious quality like CyberLink, MAGIX, and Windows Movie Maker. Coincidentally I found this out last night when I was trying to catch up on what everybody's preferences are.

I keep hearing this. It strikes me as odd, so I'm not understanding it. First of all, trimming is something I seldom do. Normally, I choose a clip's in- and out-points before dragging it to the timeline and afterward don't change it. So praising a program's trim mode strikes me like praising its Save-As window layout or something else as tiny. Second, how much better can it be?
    If you can get through an edit without adjust your ins and outs, more power to you. I used to do that too, but then I began to realize what a difference even a single frame can make. Being able to precisely add 6 frames here, take out 2 here, may not sound like a big deal, but as Spielberg experienced on JAWS, two frames can be the difference between really scary, and a big white turd. So while it may not be a big deal to you, praising the trim tools is nothing like Save-As.

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by El Director View Post
    praising the trim tools is nothing like Save-As.
    My dry humor never carries over on the Internet. When will I learn.

5. Collapse Details
    I think the biggest benefit of knowing Avid is it presents a lot of job opportunities for contract-based work. Most TV shows are cut on Avid - for reasons others have already stated - and there's a constant rotation of shows looking to fill their rosters for the current season.

I've scored some excellent jobs simply because I can get by (just barely!) in Avid, as opposed to other editors who could not. Likewise, I've missed some pretty awesome opportunities too, because Avid wasn't my every-day, muscle-memorised NLE. If you only want to work under your own banner on corporate/ads/events/web content etc then there's really no reason to learn or use Avid. If, however, you'd like to be working on network TV shows or feature films, you should probably be using Avid as your full time NLE.
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
    Adobe CC 2018

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    There's a pretty good deal on Avid Media Composer today (and perhaps this weekend):

$29.99/month for your first year.

Info on that and other Avid deals (Pro Tools, etc), here:

http://www.avid.com/special-offers/l...01310000011J7E
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

7. Collapse Details
    This forum is really dead !!!!!!!!!

Check out https://www.provideocoalition.com/best-editing-software

I'm trying to use Avid First(free) right now.
    It needs 8 gigs of ram.
    Resolve (free) is also a resource hog.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    This forum is really dead !!!!!!!!!

Check out https://www.provideocoalition.com/best-editing-software

I'm trying to use Avid First(free) right now.
    It needs 8 gigs of ram.
    Resolve (free) is also a resource hog.

They require serious computer power because they are geared for real time rendered timelines with multiple video streams plus FX. Really 16 GB ram is a practical minimum for either, same with Lightworks. These are professional workstation level programs, not casual laptop editing programs.
    They are also optimized for high quality DI editing codecs. DNX, Prores, Cineform all run like butter (if your data storage transfer rates can keep up with the large file sizes). Lightworks and Avid are still jog/shuttle console and keyboard oriented interfaces. Much faster and more precise than using a mouse. With a Shuttlepro 2 in Lightworks running Cineform DI's , I have frame for frame shuttle speeds up to 10x for up to four simultaneous HD streams with FX. Up to 4X with real time analog audio scrubbing for any number of associated audio tracks. Basic trim tools include: trim in, trim out, move cut, slip, slide on any combination of tracks, all done at any speed from single frame jog to whatever shuttle rate is comfortable for the task. This on a quad core i7 with 16GB ram and a 3GB Nvidia GPU, Thunderbolt 3 and 6TB of attached storage in a mix of single drives and raid 0 scratch disk.
    Drag and drop is a crude unsophisticated way to edit IMO. Useful for dailies and rough cuts only.

9. Collapse Details
    The specs. and what you really need are often very different. Those specs. are for a 4K timeline, HD will use much less. I started a thread on MC First, might get other uses involved if there is a some traffic on that thread or on another First specific thread.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
    I like using "NLE" because it takes less keystrokes and less effort than the alternatives.
    +

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast