Quote Originally Posted by Razz16mm View Post
They require serious computer power because they are geared for real time rendered timelines with multiple video streams plus FX. Really 16 GB ram is a practical minimum for either, same with Lightworks. These are professional workstation level programs, not casual laptop editing programs.
They are also optimized for high quality DI editing codecs. DNX, Prores, Cineform all run like butter (if your data storage transfer rates can keep up with the large file sizes). Lightworks and Avid are still jog/shuttle console and keyboard oriented interfaces. Much faster and more precise than using a mouse. With a Shuttlepro 2 in Lightworks running Cineform DI's , I have frame for frame shuttle speeds up to 10x for up to four simultaneous HD streams with FX. Up to 4X with real time analog audio scrubbing for any number of associated audio tracks. Basic trim tools include: trim in, trim out, move cut, slip, slide on any combination of tracks, all done at any speed from single frame jog to whatever shuttle rate is comfortable for the task. This on a quad core i7 with 16GB ram and a 3GB Nvidia GPU, Thunderbolt 3 and 6TB of attached storage in a mix of single drives and raid 0 scratch disk.
Drag and drop is a crude unsophisticated way to edit IMO. Useful for dailies and rough cuts only.
I agree with you totally. My setup with Media Composer 8.9.1 is a Zbook 17 G2, 16GB ram (max 32), Nvidia Quadro k3100m, i7-4710MQ (will be upgrading shortly to 4940MX), several Western digital external drives, but I would recommend some G-Tech drives or similar with thunderbolt. I edit in 4k with footage from my Panasonic GH5/Atomos Shogun, daily. The Western Digital drives are the weakest link in my setup, but I manage to get by with them. I will invest in faster drives in the near future.