1. Collapse Details
    Help! Circle of fire
    Hey guys,
    I have a music video shoot next weekend and one of the scenes is a night shot, which requires a circle of fire (Attached photoshop mock up)

What is the best way to do this? Should I dig a 1 foot trench, line it with wood and a little bit of gasoline? Would the fire sustain long enough? Or are there better ways of doing this?

I want to use real fire, along with additional lighting.

Thanks so much for any help.

Circle of fire .jpg

2. Collapse Details
    Whatever you do, you need to inform your local firemarshall, or at least call the fire department and inform them of your plans. You may inadvertantly break local ordinances if you don't know what you're doing, and at the least you won't have to worry about someone calling it in and your set is suddenly visited by a bunch of not-too-happy firefighters.

Your question is hard to answer as you don't state how long the shot is to last or what activity is supposed to interact with it.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

3. Collapse Details
    And that ring of real people may not be too enthusiastic about standing close to burning gasoline and wood - this is a potential safety nightmare, and could land people in hospital and you in jail. Fire stunts are for professionals, not for amateurs.

4. Collapse Details
    Gasoline is a no..no.

https://youtu.be/frKMx97ywvM
    Last edited by Mark Williams; 11-04-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

5. Collapse Details
    Great points everyone. Thanks for your replies.

No gasoline.

Each shot will be very quick. No longer than 20 second takes.

The location where we're shooting is on my girlfriends families massive farm property and they have a large area where they burn scrap wood that they suggested I use. The actors standing around the ring of fire won't be that close, probably 4-5 feet back from he actual flame.

I'm planning on using C-Stands with a bunch of tarps to block / redirect any wind.

I was hoping to dig a trench line and create flames that are no bigger than 6 inches to a foot off the ground.

I think we'll try using some log wood lining the trench, along with fire place starter logs and a bit of lighter fluid to help the initial flames to start. I hope this works!

6. Collapse Details
    jmsbf, there's gels for that. Used to be when movies needed fire, gels got squirted everywhere, nowadays there's environmental and safety concerns and cgi, but if you want to run the risks of real semi controlled flames you probably can still buy gels from movie supply houses, or if there's none near you, make your own by adding calcium acetate to flammable liquid, bound to be recipes on the net. Or just use bulk fire starter gel from barbecue suppliers. Trouble with lighter fluid is it goes out fast, then you squirt some more on and the flame travels up the squirt and the can blows up in your hand, painful, possibly fatal, and footage only good for YouTube.
    Last edited by Rainer; 11-06-2016 at 01:11 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Interesting, thanks for the comment Rainer. Will try the gel!