Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    To shoot in 1080P just choose it in the menu system. Simple as it gets. Choose your frame rate, 24p or 30p and shoot.

2. Collapse Details
    I don't use it much anymore... but agree to hang onto it is good advice. And I'm 90% sure there's no 1080p only 1080i /30p... and the sensor is 960x720 native size and up-rezzing the 1080... but my memory could be wrong.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    i have it's newer sibling, the hpx170. and for things like sports or events where the camera needs to be in motion. it's CCD is FAR better than any modern CMOS camera. and that's the ONE reason that i'll probably never sell it. that and the fact that there is just about no demand for it. and i don't like the idea of selling a $7,000 kit for $300 : (

i'd use it more for business event shoots and low budget jobs. but most of those require long takes, and the P2 workflow is a PITA for that kinda thing.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    I don't use it much anymore... but agree to hang onto it is good advice. And I'm 90% sure there's no 1080p only 1080i /30p... and the sensor is 960x720 native size and up-rezzing the 1080... but my memory could be wrong.
    Nope, you are mistaken. The camera is a progressive chip camera natively. There are numerous threads on this and Barry Green has explained it numerous times. Also, the camera does shoot 1080p natively. Again numerous threads that explain how the camera works to do this. Just do a search or go ask Barry direct, he can explain better than me. To sum up, this camera is not dead if all you need is a good 1080p or interlace image.

5. Collapse Details
    I just purchased an HVX200A as a B Cam for my Varicam and am happy to be reunited with the camera!
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2008 W/ AJA Kona 3 Dual-Link 4:4:4 Capture Card
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post

For those viewing this thread after two years, I'm pretty sure this guy is right. 1080 footage even looks up rezzed, However, it's a very useful camera for stuff that will mainly be viewed on the web in a small window, and even looks OK full screen. I still love the color science better than my FS7. I use it for a "knockaround" camera, when I am shooting non critical stuff all day in a crowded setting and don't want to worry about the camera disappearing. Only do that once or twice a year, but have it packed and ready to go today. My LCD stopped working in the normal position years ago, but still works when folded flat against the side, so I either use that or the viewfinder.
    A feature film shot on the Sony FS7

www.Summerof67.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mainstreetprod View Post
    For those viewing this thread after two years, I'm pretty sure this guy is right. 1080 footage even looks up rezzed, However, it's a very useful camera for stuff that will mainly be viewed on the web in a small window, and even looks OK full screen. I still love the color science better than my FS7. I use it for a "knockaround" camera, when I am shooting non critical stuff all day in a crowded setting and don't want to worry about the camera disappearing. Only do that once or twice a year, but have it packed and ready to go today. My LCD stopped working in the normal position years ago, but still works when folded flat against the side, so I either use that or the viewfinder.
    In the right profile the color is so nice.

It still very widely used in skateboarding because of the CCD sensor, servo zoom. and the width of the fisheyes available for that camera. The audio is also really nice.

3 Million views. Still putting it work.

Is there anyway to improve the 1080p output on any of the HPX/HMC/HVX models? Can you do 10 bit 422 out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-xxdtZcXeE&t=5s

8. Collapse Details
    Always remember, at the end of the day, a camera is just a tool. Its how we use them that makes the difference. The HVX is a tried and true workhorse in the industry and they are still even being rented out at my work @ VER.. as are Sony EX1s and 3s... dont let the age of a camera bewilder you to create. All the cameras i own are 10+ years old and I get very very beautiful images out of them.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2008 W/ AJA Kona 3 Dual-Link 4:4:4 Capture Card
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

9. Collapse Details
    Well said Mike K. It is just a tool and in the right hands can look very very good.

10. Collapse Details
    Agree it's far from dead, but when (a young person) saw my ad selling all my gear including an HVX200A, an HVX200 and a DVX100A his comment was "Some antiques in there!!" to which my response was "Thank you for that description. The dictionary definition of "antique" is "having a high value because of age and quality". Maybe I should ask a higher price?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast