Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I powered up my DVX100B today-Wow!
    I still have my DVX100B.

I powered up my DVX100B today.

I had been keeping it because there was minidv footage that I had yet to digitize-mostly family stuff-and thought I would use the dvx100b as the play deck.

I hadn't touched this camera in probably 18-24 months.

Battery charged right up.
    Camera powered right up.

Started playing with settings and surprised how everything just came back to me.

I ran a new tape cleaner over the heads.

(I was nervous about this but figured why not)

I actually thought about shooting something SD/16x9 and wondered if anyone would REALLY notice.

The DVX100 made a lovely image.

Be well.

Rob
    Smalltalk.Productions
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

2. Collapse Details
    I still have mine too. Still one of my favorite cameras.

3. Collapse Details
    As I posted on another site asking if the DVX was dead:

My DVX100a is alive and doing quite well, thank you.
    I still use it on a regular basis in squeeze mode for web projects. It's particularly kind to aging talent in interview situations where I don't want an overly filtered look.
    Intercuts well with HD in a 2 camera setup where the wide camera needs the extra resolution.
    Used it just the other night in such a manner with a friend's Canon XA10 (Canon for wide shot of stage and audience, DVX for closer stuff...same distance from stage).
    DVX is, of course, better in low light. I lit to a 2.8 stop (30p 1/60th on both cameras). DVX was at 0 gain, XA10 needed 12db for equal exposure...so a 2 stop difference.

When edited on a 1280x720 30p timeline and output to a high (ish) bitrate MP4 for the web, the results are very nice indeed. Would the images match as well using a larger sensor HD camera like the Canon C300, Sony FS7 or an old Varicam? Probably not, but for similar chip sizes, up to and including a Lumix GH2, the audience will almost never see a difference with well shot footage.
    Just my .02.
    Ken

4. Collapse Details
    That camera and this site had a significant impact on my career, business as I think it would be safe to say it did on many others. My camera before the DVX100B was an Iki betacam monster and despite the fortune it cost, didn't come close to giving me the images and freedom the DVX100B permitted. Sincerely a great camera. It is too bad that Panasonic could not keep the momentum up but that's showbiz.
    Brian Murphy
    Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
    Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii
    Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
    Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
    2x DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
    Teradek Vidiu kit-BM WebPresenter/Open Broadcaster & WireCast.

5. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Quote Originally Posted by kplo View Post
    As I posted on another site asking if the DVX was dead:

My DVX100a is alive and doing quite well, thank you.
    I still use it on a regular basis in squeeze mode for web projects. It's particularly kind to aging talent in interview situations where I don't want an overly filtered look.
    Intercuts well with HD in a 2 camera setup where the wide camera needs the extra resolution.
    Used it just the other night in such a manner with a friend's Canon XA10 (Canon for wide shot of stage and audience, DVX for closer stuff...same distance from stage).
    DVX is, of course, better in low light. I lit to a 2.8 stop (30p 1/60th on both cameras). DVX was at 0 gain, XA10 needed 12db for equal exposure...so a 2 stop difference.

When edited on a 1280x720 30p timeline and output to a high (ish) bitrate MP4 for the web, the results are very nice indeed. Would the images match as well using a larger sensor HD camera like the Canon C300, Sony FS7 or an old Varicam? Probably not, but for similar chip sizes, up to and including a Lumix GH2, the audience will almost never see a difference with well shot footage.
    Just my .02.
    Ken
    I would love to know the scene settings you used.

In fact, I'd love suggestions for the best scene settings for a direct-to-DVD project -- to get the best resolution, color and overall image for a short dramatic narrative project.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

6. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMurphy View Post
    That camera and this site had a significant impact on my career, business as I think it would be safe to say it did on many others. My camera before the DVX100B was an Iki betacam monster and despite the fortune it cost, didn't come close to giving me the images and freedom the DVX100B permitted. Sincerely a great camera. It is too bad that Panasonic could not keep the momentum up but that's showbiz.
    My first feature -- the romantic ghost story "Afterlife" -- was shot on a DVX100a. I loved the images that camera was -- and is -- capable of. The trailer for "Afterlife" can be seen here -- https://vimeo.com/150753392

A second feature ("Tangled Web"), a music video and a training video were all shot on a DVX100b. Editing is much easier than editing HD footage, apart from the time spent capturing (which I really don't mind.) Less processing power required and no need to first render proxy files.

I now own two DVX100a's. I use them mainly for weddings, but am considering doing a dramatic narrative web series with them. I'd love some advice for good scene settings for dramatic narrative to the web or DVD.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

7. Collapse Details
    I remember back when it was XL2 or DVX100.
    I came into DVX land late, first owning a pair of AG DVC60s and then added the DVX100B to the mix.
    I liked the bigger LCD screen, wider lens and better low light but I generally liked the 60s better. I didn't like 24P because most of my work was events and action. The biggest negative factor was I couldn't trust the DVX because it had a tendency sometimes to record big horizontal lines due to a recording head problem whereas my 60s never hiccuped.

Later after I got my HMC150s I got real serious about learning more about the cameras and then appreciated what the DVX was. It really helped the small guy compete better with the big boys with more expensive cameras.

The footage held up pretty well for web use being up-ressed to 720 with Magic Bullet Instant HD and the preamps seemed pretty good.

Nonetheless I sold the DVX and one of the DVC60s and never looked back. I wish I had sold the really nice low hour DVC60 back then too but I still have it. I like HD so much more than SD and never liked those tiny Mini-DV tapes.
    Last edited by firehawk; 10-16-2016 at 10:13 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    ...blew the dust of the old DVX100b a couple/three years ago for this 'grindhouse-ish' short....still love that camera!

9. Collapse Details
    You shot "Speed Bag" on the DVX100?

Impressive :-)

Be well.

Rob
    Smalltalk.Productions
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

10. Collapse Details
    David,
    I almost always shoot 30p in squeeze mode. I used to shoot full frame and use one of my Screen Skins on the LCD that was marked for 1:85,so I could compose for that ratio and crop later in post. However, it was pointed out to me that doing the squeeze in camera BEFORE recording made for a slightly sharper picture. Turned out to be true and I've been using squeeze ever since.
    I also make sure to black balance occasionally after white balancing...seems to keep the noise level down. My settings are pretty standard: Detail -2, Master ped: -2 or -3, Gamma settings change depending on the scene. Outdoors in contrasty daylight I use High Gamma and drop the exposure a tad to protect the highlights. Interiors I generally leave on normal for talking head scenes that can be lit. For interiors where I have to use available light, I can push it a stop (6db gain) without too much damage to the image, depending on the contrast in the scene. Knee: Auto, I always leave Detail Coring: 3 or 4.
    Anyway, hope this helps. Others may want to post their own DVX "secret sauce".
    Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast