Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    UPDATE: Unfortunately I had to return the AC90. I bought it second had on eBay and there were a lot of issues that the seller failed to mention so I couldn't justify keeping it. thankfully they are being cool about returning it. so now it's back to the drawing board as far as getting a good run and gun camera. Since I dug using the AC90 (minus the lowlight performance and lack of data management utility for AVCHD files like Canon's excellent one), I was curious about the AC30 if anyone has had the chance to check it out. I'm especially curious about its ability to shoot fast action sports. any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by JVMedia; 10-11-2016 at 11:01 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    I would look at the AC30.
    You might follow this thread.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986662211
    He just ordered the AC30 and will probably give some feedback

3. Collapse Details
    Moving on...new camera recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    I would look at the AC30.
    You might follow this thread.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986662211
    He just ordered the AC30 and will probably give some feedback
    Thanks, I'll look into it. I'm having a hard time with this buying a new camera thing haha

I started learning video on camcorders like the Canon GL2 etc. With the advent of DSLR I purchased a Canon Rebel T2i and worked with the 7D as well on a full length shoot, and 5D cameras for events. Now that I have a full time job in video production, I got reacquainted with camcorders or cameras with the functionality that camcorders have i.e. onboard buttons, proper xlr audio, zebras, waveforms etc. and I fell back in love. I use a C100 and Canon Vixia G30 at work and while I love those cameras, I wanted something for my freelance stuff on the side (sports, events, documentary, etc.) and something that was run and gun friendly. At this point this may be for an entirely different forum but I have to ask for some recommendations...right now I'm between these cameras:

Canon XA20 - I enjoy working with the G30 but I want one for my own and with the proper XLR inputs. Plus if I needed to, I could take it to work and match it with my other cameras. The small form factor is sort of attractive as well, but it may or may not be attractive with clients so I took that into consideration.

JVC HM170UA - This one is sort of a mixed bag. I hear it feels cheap and the viewfinder isn't that great. Most of the footage that I have seen doesn't seem too steady and the specs don't bost about any special image stabilization, though I'm sure it is there. Again, a mixed back...BUT 4K. And it has proper audio and they throw in the shotgun mic.

Panasonic AC AG30 - I dug the AG AC90 ok with the short time I spent with it but I could have put it through its paces more. This one supposedly has better lowlight capabilities and the short slow mo stuff I've seen looks decent for action sports. Plus I'm sure its a good documentary cam.

Anyway...these are my picks right now. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Thanks!!!!

4. Collapse Details
    Their is one person who has tried the AC30 in this thread and appears to like the AC90 more.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-AG-AC30/page2

If you're able to increase your budget, there's the UX90 for $2,095. I's like a successor to the AC90 but instead of having 3 smaller chips, it has a single 1" chip. It wont be out until next month. I've had the AC90 for nearly 4 years and I think one of Panasonic's 1" cameras would be the perfect upgrade to it since it has 4K, possibly better low light capabilities and last but not least, selectable NDs. Hopefully they'll perform as good as I hope.

This video is for the more expensive UX180 but the internal guts are the same as the UX90.

Last edited by Camera Expert; 10-14-2016 at 04:03 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Camera Expert View Post
    This video is for the more expensive UX180 but the internal guts are the same as the UX90.
    I would not make that assumption until we've seen and tested them both. The form factor is the same, I'm sure the hardware shell is the same, the menu system may even be the same, but that doesn't mean the guts or the performance will be the same. There are likely some reasons why it's nearly half the price of the UX180.

Of note though, the UX90 is quite a bit bigger than the AC90 was, so -- while it is a successor in numerology, and in price, it's up to the user to determine if it's a successor in market position. The UX90 is nearly as big as the DVX200. If someone wants a small, lightweight Panasonic as a successor to the AC90, the HC-X1000 is probably the most direct, most comparable model.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Greater zoom range, 4K60p and SDI output. That's why the UX180 costs a lot more.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Camera Expert View Post
    Greater zoom range, 4K60p and SDI output. That's why the UX180 costs a lot more.
    All I'm saying is that if you assume, well, you know what happens then. To say that they're the same guts may very well not be accurate. For example, the presence of UHD/60p implies two Venus processing cores rather than just one, at the minimum. I do not yet know, but would not be surprised if there were other notable differences under the hood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12