Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Had to return my AC 90...Update and continuation on 2nd page
    So I just picked up an AG-AC90 on eBay for fairly cheap (barely used, under $1000). I use a C100 at work and I know what you're thinking....why not save up to buy a C100? Well, I decided that I wanted an inexpensive small chip camera for personal use, sport recruitment videos, some documentary work and general run and gun. Plus I have access to a C100 at work anyway, so if I wanted to borrow it for anything, the boss doesn't mind. I guess my main question is...does anyone else still get use out of this camera? If so what kind of work do you do on it and what are your favorite features, tips, etc. ? Thanks!
    Last edited by JVMedia; 10-12-2016 at 09:15 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    I bought an AC90A a few months ago and I've used it for a number of things so far: weddings, TV commercials and more. It's a sharp 1080 camera with a great image (with enough light) and great image stabilization. It has a number of big pluses. Pretty much my only cons are it doesn't have enough ND and it would be nice if it had a longer zoom.
    Speaking of zoom, I like it's smooth variable zoom better than the HMC150, AC130/160, HPX170, HPX250, and the old DVX100.

its a good little camera. I also appreciate it's weight during those long hand-held events.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    I bought an AC90A a few months ago and I've used it for a number of things so far: weddings, TV commercials and more. It's a sharp 1080 camera with a great image (with enough light) and great image stabilization. It has a number of big pluses. Pretty much my only cons are it doesn't have enough ND and it would be nice if it had a longer zoom.
    Speaking of zoom, I like it's smooth variable zoom better than the HMC150, AC130/160, HPX170, HPX250, and the old DVX100.

its a good little camera. I also appreciate it's weight during those long hand-held events.
    Nice! Do you happen to have any examples of work shot with the 90?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JVMedia View Post
    Nice! Do you happen to have any examples of work shot with the 90?
    I'm still working on the latest wedding we shot with two AC90s. Here is a simple local ad that used the AC90A. The aerial footage and drive-over are not the AC90A, but the other shots are. The image stabilization goes such a great job in this camera.

As mentioned above, the camera doesn't have enough Neutral Density for bright outdoor shots, so a gracious person named Horsefilms on this forum recommended a B&W ND I added for the outdoor shots and it helps a lot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1QL...AxOTRQ6HKDBfhQ

5. Collapse Details
    Oh, stop it. Nice work, sir!

I've had my AC90A for two years and I love the thing.

6. Collapse Details
    Hey thanks for chiming in HorseFilms!
    I thought you might see this thread.

I'll also add that I really like the look of the AC90 for outdoor weddings. The color and smoothness of the picture is very nice. I haven't even adjusted any of the settings yet - just using default scene file. And the focus peaking in red is helpful. Wish my HMC150s had that!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    I'm still working on the latest wedding we shot with two AC90s. Here is a simple local ad that used the AC90A. The aerial footage and drive-over are not the AC90A, but the other shots are. The image stabilization goes such a great job in this camera.

As mentioned above, the camera doesn't have enough Neutral Density for bright outdoor shots, so a gracious person named Horsefilms on this forum recommended a B&W ND I added for the outdoor shots and it helps a lot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1QL...AxOTRQ6HKDBfhQ
    Sweet! I'll keep the ND issue in mind. I'll be shooting a doc in the not too distant future and I have a feeling this camera will serve me well. This camera has a little cult following so to speak and I want to put it through its paces soon to see what the fuss is about. Thus far I love how easy it is to use.

8. Collapse Details
    The little AC90 pretty much came out of nowhere as a surprise to most everyone. The much promoted AC130 and AC160 had come out and there was a big fuss over autofocus problems so Panasonic scrambled to try to fix it and soon released the "A" versions. Then appeared the AC90 much to everyone's surprise, which wasn't a replacement for either and we were trying to figure out where it was supposed to fit into the lineup. It had proper dual card recording and awesome OIS so thus a few pluses that made it better in some ways than it's big brothers.

9. Collapse Details
    Regarding ND filters:
    The biggest issue I have is the screw 'em on and off thing.
    I've invested in Xume magnetic filter holders.
    Now I want to use filters instead of being annoyed.

I love the AC90 for run and gun shooting.

Al

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchroma View Post
    Regarding ND filters:
    The biggest issue I have is the screw 'em on and off thing.
    I've invested in Xume magnetic filter holders.
    Now I want to use filters instead of being annoyed.

I love the AC90 for run and gun shooting.

Al
    Based on your post, I just looked into and ordered a set. Thanks! They look amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast