1. Collapse Details
    Re: EXTENDED SENSITIVITY
    The Panasonic Business "The AG-DVX200 Book" says that
    EXTENDED SENSITIVITY - *HIGH SENS. MODE menu item is fixed to “HIGH SENS” while this feature is set to ON."
    I am checking on my camera and it appears that those two setting are independent.

EXTENDED SENSITIVITY Expand adjustable range of gain
    While this function is ON:
    -6dB to 24dB (ISO250 to 8000)
    While this function is OFF:
    0dB to 24dB (ISO500 to 8000)
    *HIGH SENS. MODE menu item is fixed to “HIGH SENS” while this feature is set to ON.

Is it a typo or someone forgot to tie them up.

Please verify.

It has substantial consequences, since
    HIGH SENS. MODE filter reduces effective resolution.

James Duke, jduke@lifestorypictures.com, http://www.lifestorypictures.com.

2. Collapse Details
    Yes, they are two different settings. High Sens mode as you say applies noise reduction and is equivalent, I think, to 6db of gain. It can be useful in certain dire situations. (I'm interested, now you've mentioned it, to try out High Sens mode with the new Noise Reduction setting. I wonder, if you dial it into negative like -3, say, how bad the noise reduction looks now when High sens mode is applied.)

The book was printed before the new extended sensitivity mode was introduced in a recent firmware update (forget which one...). This allows you to dial in negative gain if you're in a situation where you don't want to close your iris or apply an ND filter. It's highly useful.

3. Collapse Details
    Johny,

The book I am referring to was printed a month ago after the last update. Please take a look. It said that they were connected.

James Duke, jduke@lifestorypictures.com, http://www.lifestorypictures.com.

4. Collapse Details
    Hi, I can't find the specific book you're talking about. Link? I can only find Barry Green's. But it's wrong in any case. High sens mode doesn't get turned on when extended sensitivity mode is activated. Extended sensitivity gives you 6 stops of negative gain. As you can see in the menu, they are two separate settings. I have noticed that activating high sens mode does turn off extended sensitivity mode and you need to turn it back on again if you want it after turning high sens back to normal.

IMG_9573.jpg
    Last edited by Jonny Gross; 09-23-2016 at 09:04 AM.

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    I think they mean that High Sensitivity Mode (HSM) is turned off when Extended Sensitivity (EXS) is on. I don't know why. Maybe because EXS gives you the ability to go to 8000 ISO which is what HSM would do, but it's kind of an automatic thing when you're in a hurry, as opposed to EXS which is all about setting the camera's ISO to whatever you want. I don't use HSM, anyway...which is fine, because I do use EXS and like to set my ISO to 250 because I'm posh like that...and I don't like giving myself more noise than I get anyway, especially now with the 1.81 NR adjustment setting...which I think resets after turning off the camera, so make sure it's not resetting itself. Anyway, the noise at -6dB is quite pleasing, so I leave it. Scene 4, V-Log L and custom WB for the win. The built-in ND and f/2.8 28mil (Super 35 equivalent) lens all help, too. That's my favorite focal length, afterall.
    Jason R. Johnston
    Cinematographer • Videographer • Photographer

web: jasonrjohnston.com
    instagram: jasonrjohnston

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JRJphoto View Post
    I think they mean that High Sensitivity Mode (HSM) is turned off when Extended Sensitivity (EXS) is on. I don't know why. Maybe because EXS gives you the ability to go to 8000 ISO which is what HSM would do, but it's kind of an automatic thing when you're in a hurry, as opposed to EXS which is all about setting the camera's ISO to whatever you want. I don't use HSM, anyway...which is fine, because I do use EXS and like to set my ISO to 250 because I'm posh like that...and I don't like giving myself more noise than I get anyway, especially now with the 1.81 NR adjustment setting...which I think resets after turning off the camera, so make sure it's not resetting itself. Anyway, the noise at -6dB is quite pleasing, so I leave it. Scene 4, V-Log L and custom WB for the win. The built-in ND and f/2.8 28mil (Super 35 equivalent) lens all help, too. That's my favorite focal length, afterall.
    Hi Jason,

NR mode is consistent between turning cam off and on. Mine has been at -3 since I updated and it's staying there!

8. Collapse Details
    It does seem that activating one turns the other off. I like the extended sensitivity for the -gain in daylight, but switch to the high sense for night with the gain limited to around 1600iso. I guess if BOTH were running at the same time you could effectively "cancel out" ones effect on the other? It's clumsy having to switch back and forth to see what is what sometimes. May have to assign a user button to them or something to make it quicker.....