Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Xiaoyi (Xiaomi) 4K MFT sub-$500 (*) camera
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/19/...orless-camera/

http://www.43rumors.com/first-real-w...thirds-camera/

Looks-wise, it's a Leica clone. What's inside? It's a Xiaomi (partner/corporate umbrella) 4K model for $500. Including a 12-40mm zoom. Take that, cartel.

(Engadget claims a $330 price for the body only but in China only)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    i want one. It is cheaper than any other second hand option out there. might be good for 360* stuff.

3. Collapse Details
    Official English site: http://www.yitechnology.com/

It says it uses a Sony Exmor image sensor, the IMX269. I can't find much about it, except that at full resolution it tops out at 27 fps, not the 30 that this camera claims in 4K. So is it maybe a slight crop to achieve 30 fps? I wonder if the camera offers other frame rates, like 24.

Hey, if you're going to make a cheap camera with an off-the-shelf Sony sensor, can you make one with the IMX174? (global shutter, 16mm, 120 fps, 12 f-stops of range)

Thanks for sharing, DLD!

4. Collapse Details
    IMX269 was rumored to be inside GX8 (and probably DVX200). It's been around for a while. It shoots a center-crop 8.3 MPX UHD up to 30 FPS. 27 FPS is full sensor readout at 20 MPX. DVX 200 shoots an oversampled 13.2 MPX 4K, with the UHD at 60 FPS.

(some fairly reasonable speculation below ... as you saw from that Sony page, it seems to have one 16 MPX MFT sensor that's inside the older Olympus and Panasonic cameras and this one with 20 MPX ... and that's it for MFT)

http://thenewcamera.com/panasonic-gx...imx269-sensor/

At around $330 for body only - if anyone is willing to sell it as body only in the US - it's 67% lower than GX8, which is currently retailing for about $1,000. As I've said before, if the Chinese want to get into the photo-video business, the Japanese cartel and its profit structure will be severely tested. Xiaomi probably buys their smartphone image sensors from Sony too, so it's not like this is the business that Sony can turn down ... they just negotiate that Xiaomi makes only MFT cameras since this doesn't threaten Sony's own camera lineup.

Of course, there's a lot of synergy between the smartphone and photo-video business and others can be tempted to jump in.

https://www.techinasia.com/new-asian...rtphone-brands

5. Collapse Details
    If it does 27 fps full sensor 4:3, it can do 30 fps on a 16:9 crop that uses the full horizontal and doesn't read the top and bottom.

The problem with this is that it will probably use an off-the-shelf processor, from Ambarella or something like that. Those come with gamma curves already pre-programmed, so expect relatively low dynamic range. About the same you get on a modern phone (my LG nexus 5x already has two stops more DR shooting RAW stills than JPG stills, and the sensor is very nice but not this nice).

6. Collapse Details
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    ... About the same you get on a modern phone (my LG nexus 5x already has two stops more DR shooting RAW stills than JPG stills, and the sensor is very nice but not this nice).
    It looks like a camera made for those who only know how a smartphone operates. (click on CC)

8. Collapse Details
    Several tech oriented sites (Digital Trends and Tech Buffalo) now write that the price with be $330 with the 12-40 zoom but available through mail/internet ordering system only, skipping the traditional retail channels.

9. Collapse Details
    WOW, that is really cheap. It may be a strong option for "my sister wants to start photography" (which has already happened to me twice XD).

10. Collapse Details
    I read somewhere that this thing is based on Android, so it may bring some interesting innovation (and hacking?) yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast