Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the write up and link Noah! This is exciting, I may pick up a few of these or may wait for the 3060 units to be available. With the way the unit ships, can you see any way to affix a D-Fuse or other softbox? Does is look as if this light is built well enough to last a while with careful use? Could be the hot ticket for my travel kit, always looking to save weight. Let us know what you discover as far as CRI, are there any color spikes and actual FC output.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Thanks for the write up and link Noah! This is exciting, I may pick up a few of these or may wait for the 3060 units to be available. With the way the unit ships, can you see any way to affix a D-Fuse or other softbox? Does is look as if this light is built well enough to last a while with careful use? Could be the hot ticket for my travel kit, always looking to save weight. Let us know what you discover as far as CRI, are there any color spikes and actual FC output.
    Looks like the bicolor FL-3030a panels are starting to be available for maybe even <$100, but only on Alibaba so far. Anyone want to go in on a 10 unit minimum order?
    (http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...502094996.html)

Seems like these would be quite easy to gang together since a simple DC barrel splitter and a larger 24V power supply would also be easy to come by. Also I wonder if they are capable of being brighter with a more powerful Power Supply since the low power factor may be limiting their draw... So far according to my light meter they are about 1/2 stop less bright than a westcott flex, which makes sense given that these are drawing 39W on my meter vs Flex's 55W, but I wonder if a more 3A power supply or a 5A for two ganged panels might help. It does seem like the top few dimming steps are smaller than the others which may support this theory. Also the 48W rating in the specs seems suspiciously like they just assumed a 24V 2A supply would make it a 48W light.

I'm playing around with the idea of new designs for mounting multiple units together since the frame it comes with is pretty light but still overkill for such lightweight units. some adhesive velcro on the back and a single collapsible bar with some velcro on it and a stand mount point could make these pretty easy to line up 2-4 in a row on a stand. I think 4 of these could be a really nice kit since you could gang them together for a big light to push through light diffusion or just gang two for a key and still have two other separate ones for fill and backlights for simple setups. Gotta go out and try shooting with it a bit. Might have a job in LA next week that would be perfect to test out a light that is so easy to carry on. It's gonna make me wish I ordered more of them already though.

Then again at about 1/10th the price of a flex, having to buy 10 might still be worth it and just make a huge bright 3x3' 350W soft light that can pack up flat and be controlled by one wireless controller and still have one left as a backup.
    Last edited by nyvz; 09-16-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel
    http://www.noahyv.com

3. Collapse Details
    Noah, any reports or footage on what your thoughts are on the color temp and how the light the panels produces looks and feels? Enough output to use a softbox, for instance?

4. Collapse Details
    Haven't tested extensively since I've been busy shooting. Thought about bringing one of these but it didn't make sense since I haven't worked out a battery solution yet and only have one so I'm finishing up this travel job with my YN600s first and then I will get more into working on testing color and finding interesting ways to mount and diffuse these. The output is pretty nice and these are probably more appropriate in a softbox. I have a method I'm working on for using these in a way that gets me a bigger softer brighter thinner source and packs down into a smaller space than my current travel kit which is YN600's with umbrella softboxes and is already very convenient and flexible in my opinion.

I did order a second one on amazon and am working on ways to easily mount and power two or more of these combined into one source.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel

5. Collapse Details
    Looking forward to hearing your day to day impressions of them and what your footage with them looks like. I was hot on a flexible panel but instead just bought two of the Lightstorm LS 1S for a project shooting next week, I needed more output and the wireless remote seems like such a handy thing when one man banding it as I do sometimes. But still interested in these for travel, the LS 1S weight almost twelve pounds each with all of the accessories so two of them in a Pelican case alone is already bumping up against the 50lb per piece limit (Pelican 1610 weighs around 20lbs too!). Would be cooler to have three flexible panels, some sort of softbox setup at about 3-5lbs total each, I could bring more lights and put more of my other stuff from other cases into the light case. Lighter and smaller is so important for travel.

6. Collapse Details
    Check these out, two for $184.00 with wireless control! https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Phot...amtian+FL-3030 The ones that are called XC Source, not sure why the url says Samtian FL3030?

7. Collapse Details
    You might want to double check your link; I got a page for Ebay, Walmart, Target, Amazon and Nike when I clicked on it.

8. Collapse Details
    Thats weird, I just clicked on it and it still takes me to the correct Amazon page with the lights. Ideas from any web experts? Why would the link take me to the page but Mark to this other page?

Here is where the link above takes me to

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Phot...y+Camera+Light
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Collapse Details
    I have the same issue with your link on my phone but on my laptop there is a "continue to amazon" that gets to the right link eventually after the annoying ad page, but not sure it matters though since that link looks familiar. I think it's an issue with dvxuser redirects.

That's just one panel. Pictured is the panel and the diffuser next to each other. These go for $100-200 each, you won't get 2 for <$200 if they cost $100 on alibaba from the factory. Some sellers on ebay and aliexpress charge $200 each... Definitely would not recommend buying from that link since it's $50 more and delivery is estimated in 30+ days. I just received my second one but this time for only $135 from the link I posted to the amazon seller called samtian, which I would recommend using instead given the much lower price and much faster shipping, not to mention lots of good reviews.
    Last edited by nyvz; 10-08-2016 at 06:20 PM.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel

10. Collapse Details
    Got it, I will have to check out your link again. Would love to see some clips you have lit with them when you get a chance Noah.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast